cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox sync on the server keeps turning off after a period of inactivity. How do I keep sync on?

Dropbox sync on the server keeps turning off after a period of inactivity. How do I keep sync on?

bwpcsi
New member | Level 2

How do I keep Dropbox sync from not stopping when the server is not being used?

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox sync on the server keeps turning off after a period of inactivity. How do I keep sync on

Mark
Super User II

Is it installed on a supported OS? 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Dropbox sync on the server keeps turning off after a period of inactivity. How do I keep sync on

bwpcsi
New member | Level 2

It's on a Windows Server 2016 and is used for Smart Secure. Smart Secure said that they have been able to resolve the sync issues with other clients before on servers. However I do not see any servers on that link you sent.

Mark
Super User II

I'd suggest speaking to Smart Secure then - Dropbox itself isnt supported I'm afraid on any server. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

bwpcsi
New member | Level 2

They actually referred me to Dropbox support on this matter.

Mark
Super User II

I dont work for Dropbox, but, as Dropbox is not being used on a supported system I dont think they'll be able to offer help - in theory the software shouldnt be working at all. 

All I can think of is something is sending the software to sleep and so it needs 'waking' 

bwpcsi
New member | Level 2

Do you have any insight on what causes the software to go to sleep on a normal Windows 10 PC? May be able to replicate the settings on the server to fix the issue.

Walter
Dropboxer
Sorry to be jumping in here, but have you seen this Help Center article yet @bwpcsi?

I'm not sure if it will help in your case, but it's definitely a good start since you're using Windows Server OS. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bwpcsi
New member | Level 2

Yeah that's pretty much how we have it set up currently. It is one account set up on the app on the server and is syncing the server files to Dropbox. However it does not sync sometimes until we log back into the server.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @bwpcsi, since we don't officially support installing the Dropbox desktop application on a server, the amount of support we can provide is limited.

Since the server needs to remain active for the app to run, like a normal machine, then that's what needs to be done. If if it's being deactivated for some reason, then there must be another service forcing the app to stop running, since this isn't a function that Dropbox offers on its own.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    bwpcsi New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?