cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox sync stuck on main computer

Dropbox sync stuck on main computer

Kleajmp F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have my main computer running windows10 hosting a lot of files (let's call him gustavo), in the beginning it costed me 3 days to make the full index but I need al these files on this pc (615029 files)

The syncing finished after 3 days and since then everything was ok... Untill I booted some other computer containing new (and old) files that needed to be synced. After the sync gustavo seemed like to have lost its Dropbox index or wanted to refresh it fully (no reason for it, only a little files where updated trough the other computer). So it started to show the blue (need to sync) icon on all the folders. It advanced to: 487 237. There it got stuck. Now the computer is for 4 days showing the same ammount of files need to be synced... nothing is advancing. Off course I rebooted my pc, restarted the Dropbox deamon (or app) but nothing seems to help.

Two questions:

• what can I do to quickly solve this problem cause no new file are syncing now and that is very irritating for my work.
  • how come this issue appears to happen all the time after I booted some computer containing dropbox files that need to be synced (mostly a pc that was not on for a long time).

Please help me out Drtopbox cause this is not the first time it happens. The only solution last times was to completely rebuilt my index which will take for daaays! So please can you provide a more constructive solution?

11 Replies 11

Kleajmp F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

ok, I will try to ask my question more clear:

• in what file or database does Dropbox store the "selective sync settings"?

maybe this is not a question on your answer list, but it would really help me if it could be answered, so maybe if you have a second line support or you could pass it to the developers? It would be very helpful as this problem occurs more than 4 times a year and it's really annoying to set back al the selective sync folders manually every time I need to do a rebuild of the corrupted index.

Kleajmp F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

OK since the Dropbox staff never had any decent solutions I decided to do some research myself and fixed the problem:

1. backup your QLLite database where "selective sync" folders are stored:
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Dropbox\instance1\config.dbx
  2. unlink Dropbox account:
    preferences > account > unlink this dropbox
  3. relink your dropbox account and select the same folder where it used to be before
  4. when dropbox sync is not working yet:
    unistall dropbox
    delete: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Dropbox\instance1\*.*
  5. reinstall dropbox
  6. close dropbox.exe
  7. replace the "config.dbx" in your: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Dropbox\instance1 folder with the backuped one.
  8. start Dropbox.exe
  9. relink your dropbox account and select the same folder where it used to be before
  10. victoreeeey! (all your selective sync settings are still there)
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kleajmp F. Helpful | Level 7
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?