cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox syncing vs Google Drive

Dropbox syncing vs Google Drive

Superchan245
New member | Level 2

I am considering switching to Dropbox Plus from Google One, the problem I have with Google is that everytime i restart, or make a change to a folder it takes about 1 day to "process" all of the files before it starts to upload anything, this means to upload large amounts of I have to leave my computer on for multiple days and can't restart it or it has to start over,  sometimes it takes more than 1 day.

I am syncing a little over 1TB of data, does Dropbox Plus work faster? if I restart does it pickup where it left off? does it have to process everything each time a change to a folder is made?

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox syncing vs Google Drive

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello @Superchan245, thanks for checking in with us. 

In general, sync, one of our core features, keeps your files up-to-date throughout your account.

This means that any changes you make to your files, including additions and deletions will show up on the website and any other connected device that has the desktop app and mobile app installed. 

If you make any offline edits to files on your computer, as soon as you're connected to the internet and the desktop app is running again, it'll look for any changes and sync them. 

You can find more about the desktop app in this article

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Superchan245
New member | Level 2

This did not answer my question at all, i know what drop box does

i am trying to move away from Google Drive because syncing 1TB of data takes too long before it starts to upload.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for geting back to me, @Superchan245

In general, syncing can take time depending on the number and size of the files you have. When Dropbox syncs the files it starts with all of the folders, then uploads files from smallest to largest.

For this reason, it may look like the folders are empty or incomplete if you look during the syncing process, but please be patient and don't delete them from the Dropbox folder if the files haven't finished syncing.

Also, if the desktop app is offline (not connected to the internet), upon connecting again, it will try to index for any changes that occurred. 

Although Dropbox can only upload and download as fast as your ISP allows and it tries not to use all of your bandwidth, you can change that by manually changing the desktop app's upload/download speed.

I hope this helped to some extent! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ITConsultingAfrica
Collaborator | Level 10

Dropbox sync is much faster than Google sync. Period. Dropbox does not "process" all your files like Google Drive or OneDrive does. I use all three and Dropbox is way faster. HTH.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?