cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox tells me to right click on folder and choose Smart Sync but I don't have this option

Dropbox tells me to right click on folder and choose Smart Sync but I don't have this option

ned666
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Smart Sync is broken for me, but the hint that Dropbox gives me to right-click on a folder and choose "Smart Sync" makes no sense:

ned666_0-1653837068726.png

I don't have this option when I right-click in Windows Explorer on any folder or file inside Dropbox:

ned666_1-1653837241557.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ned666, happy Monday! 

Let's see what we can find on this together! 

Have you tried re-starting your device? I'd also try re-installing the app real quick, to see if this changes things. 

Keep me posted on the results. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

ned666
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have some 5-year old videos in my Dropbox folders. Apparently they were only partly downloaded using SmartSync, because instead of getting a thumbnail I get a crossed icon:

ned666_0-1653836354952.png

When I try to play one of them in VLC I can't:

ned666_1-1653836470232.png

Opening in any other software or uploading them to youtube doesn't work either. These files are broken.

There seems to be no fix for this other than manually downloading the broken files from dropbox.com.

I can't seem to even disable SmartSync, I remember this option used to be there in Preferences but it's gone now:

ned666_2-1653836638276.png

Please tell me how to disable this horrendous SmartSync forever!
It's causing only problems and brings no benefits, I have enough space on my HD to download all files anyway, and if I happen to run out of space I'd rather prefer to use Selective Sync instead.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

That icon isnt anything to do with Dropbox @ned666 its a windows one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-do-the-onedrive-icons-mean-11143026-8000-44f8-aaa9-6...

You'll not see the SmartSync menus etc. if you are not on a paid plan as they are account type specific: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I've merged both posts together or things get complicated

Based on your first post Dropbox isnt running, or, doesnt have overlays etc. set up

Try a reinstall: www.dropbox.com/downloading

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ned666
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am on a paid plan (2 TB).

This is really strange, I don't have this issue on my second PC. I'm logged in as same account, Dropbox version is the same (v149.4.4568) and yet I see only half of the options in Preferences > Sync tab that I see on the other PC.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ned666, happy Monday! 

Let's see what we can find on this together! 

Have you tried re-starting your device? I'd also try re-installing the app real quick, to see if this changes things. 

Keep me posted on the results. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ned666
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, yes, reinstalling helped regarding SmartSync, but now I'm struggling with other problem.

1. Dropbox is stuck at "Dowloading 3 files" since Monday
2. I cannot figure out which 3 files, because the syncing icon overlays are not visible anymore in Windows Explorer
Will try to figure it out myself first, if it doesn't help I will open a new thread.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for all the updates, @ned666!

As for the syncing of the app, I'd suggest a restart, or even for you to sign out of the app and then back in. 

Let me know how it goes in any case. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ihatedreaming
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi , not sure if anyone can help me or how to contact anyone. Sadly I use Dropbox. I actually hate it however all my files and folders dating back years are in it. I didn't know that files were still on my Mac and now have run out of disk space. I have read some of the online advice and it says I need to make some files online only. This is fine however to do this I need to access preferences and do some hovering? I have no dropbox icon in the tool bar ( also cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this back) . Then I understand I can make some files online only? How can I do this if I cant access the preferences??? Makes no sense at all to me at all. I can only access dropbox via finder and obvs dont have a right click( ?) as its a Mac? Is there anyway I can speak to someone or get any advice on this before I throw my laptop out of the window? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@ihatedreaming if you have no icon on the status bar Dropbox isnt running.

Simply start it from within the Applications folder and you will find it and also get the rightclick menus 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ihatedreaming New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?