cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox thinks my laptop is a new device every time I log in

Dropbox thinks my laptop is a new device every time I log in

Carren
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I am running Linux Mint on my laptop, with the Dropbox app installed. Every time I log in, Dropbox tells me I have exceeded my 3 device limit. I only have 2 devices - my laptop and my phone. Dropbox is not recognising my laptop - it is tagging it as a new device log in, every time. I have to keep going in and deleting one of it's clones under devices.

How can I fix this please.

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox thinks my laptop is a new device every time I log in

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Carren, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like the Dropbox desktop application is detecting it as a new device each time, perhaps due to the way the OS is set up on your laptop.

Perhaps it's a temporary state or storage, and removes all identifying features and files related to apps. As to what it is exactly, only you would be able to determine that on your end.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox thinks my laptop is a new device every time I log in

Carren
Explorer | Level 3
I have no idea. I uninstalled Dropbox completely then reinstalled but it made no difference. I have given up trying to make it work. Have gone back to Google Drive for cloud storage. Not perfect but a higher free storage limit.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Carren Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?