cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox unable to work with 7 TB of files, crashing every time it's started

Dropbox unable to work with 7 TB of files, crashing every time it's started

Zarabozo
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I have 7 TB of files and I bough the "Dropbox Business Advanced" plan to have them backed up and shareable. Many of my files are by themselves several GB in size each.

The first time I installed Dropbox for these files and plan, under Windows 7, I had a lot of issues with it getting frozen, crashing most of the times, but I kept reopening it until it got more stable and (after about 2 months) finished uploading the files to the server, despite me having an 800/80 Mbps download/upload Internet speed.

Now, I installed Windows 10 (clean install). Extremely powerful PC with 28 cores and 128 GB in RAM. Then I installed Dropbox and told it to use the same folder that contains those 7 TB of files and the old Dropbox data it was generated with it. It just can't work.

Every time I open the Dropbox app, it says on the tray icon "Starting..." and then silently dies after about an hour and a half of constant CPU usage. The tray icon just desappears from the system tray. I've been manually restarting it (for about two weeks now) as often as I can, but every time the result is the same.

So, I tried running the app from the command line just to check if there was any output, and there's indeed some output that seems to be pointing to Dropbox running out of memory. I've now been monitoring the RAM usage, and it indeed reaches almost 4 GB of memory usage before crashing. Being a 32 bit application, that will do. (Side note: Why isn't there a 64 bit Dropbox application??)

The following is an example of the output I get when running it from the command line:

!! dropbox: assigning process to named job object dbx1584
!! dropbox: assigned process to named job object with handle 00000224
dropbox: loading watchdog
!! dropbox: assigning process to named job object dbx13536
!! dropbox: assigned process to named job object with handle 00000220
dropbox: package full name is <unpackaged>
dropbox: loading bootstrap
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.6.7
dropbox: setting program path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe'
dropbox: setting home path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client'
dropbox: setting python path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\python-packages-36.zip'
!! dropbox: assigning process to named job object dbx23080
!! dropbox: assigned process to named job object with handle 00000220
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\tornado.speedups.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\psutil._psutil_windows.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\win32com.shell.shell.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.kernel32.compiled._winffi_kernel32.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winshell.compiled._winshell.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\cpuid.compiled._cpuid.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winenumhandles.compiled._WinEnumHandles.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winscreenshot.compiled._CaptureScreenshot.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\crashpad.compiled._Crashpad.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWebEngineWidgets.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt562.sip.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtCore.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtNetwork.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWebEngineCore.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtGui.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWidgets.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWebChannel.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWebKit.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWebKitWidgets.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtPrintSupport.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winrpcserver.compiled._RPCServer.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winreindex.compiled._winreindex.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.user32.compiled._winffi_user32.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.iphlpapi.compiled._winffi_iphlpapi.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.winerror.compiled._winffi_winerror.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.wininet.compiled._winffi_wininet.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\dropbox.infinite.win.compiled._driverinstallation.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWinExtras.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winverifysignature.compiled._VerifySignature.cp36-win32.pyd'
13:37:26.704 INFO UNKNOWN       [dropbox\dbx-thread\src\lib.rs:135] Creating thread, name: PYTHON_LOGGER
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\librsyncffi.compiled._librsyncffi.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\enterprise_data.compiled._enterprise_data.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.advapi32.compiled._winffi_advapi32.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\wind3d11.compiled._wind3d11.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.shcore.compiled._winffi_shcore.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\windisplaytoast.compiled._DisplayToast.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.shell32.compiled._winffi_shell32.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\winffi.gdi32.compiled._winffi_gdi32.cp36-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\PyQt5.QtWebEngine.cp36-win32.pyd'
[0112/133730:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(668)] Failed to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\resources\qtwebengine_resources_devtools.pak
Some features may not be available.
b'!! (Qt:Fatal) createDIB: CreateDIBSection failed.'

(The following lines are measured by an external script at the moment of Dropbox's crash:)
-> (Time running 5743 sec) - Dropbox.exe (PID 1584): 3,506,960 K
-> (Time running 5743 sec) - Dropbox.exe (PID 13536): 8,704 K
-> (Time running 5743 sec) - Dropbox.exe (PID 23080): 7,584 K

Is there something I can do to resolve this issue? I'm unable to sync anything in this state.

Thanks,

Francisco

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox unable to work with 7 TB of files, crashing every time it's started

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this Francisco - I'd first suggest checking the following Help Center article as it addresses the most common causes for such issues: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage

Just note that the performance of the Dropbox desktop app starts to decrease at around 300,000 files while you should be able to improve performance and sync speed with selective sync.

Keep me posted on your findings @Zarabozo!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Zarabozo
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter,

Thanks for your message. I reviewed the link you gave me, but I don't see something in there that can help my case. I don't really care for the CPU usage as long as it works. The problem here is Dropbox simply crashes.

Also, I cannot use selective sync, as this is the main source of those files and this is the place where those files are needed. Also, all the files are already present, Dropbox doesn't even need to download them, just update changes. Using selective sync wouldn't work for me because I need all of the files, so I would have to check them all anyway.

Dropbox seems to be crashing while trying to index the files. I do have more than 300,000 files, and I've been told in the past that's going to decrease Dropbox's performance. That's okay, as long as it works - but it is not decreasing performance, it is plainly dying.

So, if this cannot work, then I'd like Dropbox to say so, not just to say that performance will decrease, so I can stop trying and paying for the service. Low performance and complete inability are different situations.

Thanks again for your reply!

Francisco

Walter
Dropboxer

Symlinks or reparse points (previous Help Center article - step 7) can also cause issues like this @Zarabozo - have you checked if this is the culprit? 

In any case, I wanted to thank you for this feedback Francisco - we are always looking for our users' input when creating the next version of the Dropbox app so I will make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you from my end please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Zarabozo
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Yes, I checked the whole article. There are no symlinks within the files. It's just a really big storage, with some huge files and a lot of regular files.

Francisco

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know @Zarabozo!

At this point I'll need to have a further look into this with all of our tools available so I found your existing ticket on our system (ticket ID: 8754143) and sent you a brief email so we can work on this together.

Take a look at your inbox when you get the chance and we'll take it from there Francisco. 

Thanks in advance and, until we speak again, enjoy the rest of your day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Zarabozo Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?