Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox unexpectedly quit; I followed instructions to uninstall; dropbox not restarting.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Running Mac OS 10.15.3 on a Mac Mini (Late 2012)

I was repeatedly getting unexpectedly quit errors from Dropbox, so I followed the instructions to uninstall, including the Terminal commands. (By the way, they say to press Enter after each line. I don't know if there's a difference, but the Return and Enter keys are in different locations on a Mac 'extended' keyboard. I know that in Excel, it does make a difference which one of those keys is pressed!) I pressed Return after each of the Terminal commands and then deleted the remaining Dropbox folders. There was nothing Dropbox remaining on my system.

I then downloaded the new Dropbox from the provided link (a 177 MB download) and ran the installer.

But Dropbox doesn't run.

I've downloaded the 177 MB file three times and run the installer each time, and still no joy.

I need help, please!

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox unexpectedly quit; I followed instructions to uninstall; dropbox not restarting.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @krandrew, welcome to the Dropbox Community - I'd be more than happy to help. 

As a first step, could you temporarily disable your antivirus, make sure that you've configured your firewall to work with Dropbox, and then manually launch the desktop app from your applications menu? Maybe that will do the trick.

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox unexpectedly quit; I followed instructions to uninstall; dropbox not restarting.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil, thanks for your reply.

I don't run any anti-virus software, so I know that that's not the problem. 

I also haven't changed any firewall settings from my previous installation of Dropbox, so I don't think that that would be causing a problem, either. However, I did have a look at the settings in the linked page and apart from not being able to find any application Dropbox Web Helper on my system, everything else appears to be correct.

But, as previously, when I launch Dropbox, either from Launchpad or from double-clicking the Dropbox filename/icon from within the Applications directory, Dropbox setup briefly runs, showing an empty window on my desktop and a greyed out Dropbox icon in the menu bar, and then quits.

There are errors and warnings in the Console -->Log Reports-->Dropbox_debug.log and they seem to have been created when I made my most recent attempts at installing Dropbox. However, I am not expert enough to read/interpret the messages there to know if they are of any use to you. I've attached the log just in case.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that out for me, @krandrew

I've sent you a ticket so that we can further investigate this together, so when you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I presume that you mean my email inbox as I don't know of any other inbox.

More than 48 hours ago I replied to the email I received. I have received no reply. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for nudging me, @krandrew. I just replied to your ticket. 

Give me a shout via email whenever you have the relevant info or any other questions for me. Cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?