cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED: Dropbox App unexpectedly quit on Windows 10

SOLVED: Dropbox App unexpectedly quit on Windows 10

sgrya1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I get an error when I try to open the Dropbox app saying "Dropbox unexpectedly quit. Your files are safe. Restart Dropbox..."

It started about two weeks ago (and around the same time as two other unsolved posts on the forum). 

Two days ago I formatted my computer and reinstalled programs. This morning I opened the computer and saw the same error.

Running Windows 10. Does anyone have any suggestions?

41 Replies 41

Ken7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I tried this fix, but the same problem continues.  Can you share which service caused your problem?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Ken7, thanks for posting! 

Hope @sgrya1  can let us know more about the third party service. 

I also located the ticket you have with us and added notes to it. Have you already tried performing an advanced reinstall

I believe this will fix things. 

Note:pushpin: An advanced reinstall will sync all your files again and will erase any Selective Sync or Smart Sync settings you might have. 

If this step doesn't work, please let me know and I will make sure the ticket you have with us, gets escalated directly. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ken7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, Fiona.  I have tried the advance reinstall three times and still get the same error.  I have Dropbox on several computers, a tablet, and my phone with no problems.  It's just happening on my home computer after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  There must be something running on my home machine that is causing this conflict.  I just don't know how to find the culprit.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you for getting back to me about this. 

Sorry to hear the advanced reinstall didn't solve it for you. It seems to be device specific indeed. I see your case is already escalated to another level of support by the agent assisting you. You will receive the next steps via email. 

We appreciate your patience @Ken7folded hands 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Kaey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there, my computer just started giving me the same issue with dropbox crashing after relaunch. Is there a solution avaiable please? I am about to sign up to dropbox business. Doesn't look promising so far. Please help.

I am using a mac pro computer.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Kaey; thanks for joining our discussion here and sorry to hear you're also experiencing crashes of our desktop app on your Mac computer.

Can you please let me know if you've done any troubleshooting so far, such as the advanced re-install that's mentioned here in this thread? 

While we're at it, what's the exact OS and build your computer is on and approximately how many files are you trying to sync via the desktop app?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Kaey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me.

I am using a apple computer. MacOs Sierra version 10.12.6

So things are looking better now. It looks I was sharing a folder within a folder and dropbox didn't like it. Once I removed the folders the uploads started working just fine. I am also uploading a huge amount of files as its my first upload but it all seems to be working so far. I am waiting for the last 6,000 files to be uploaded. 

One other query. The folders in my desktop and the files uploaded so far don't match. The file structure seem to be different. I am guessing that they will align once the upload is complete?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, they will @Kaey; just give the app time to report that it's up to date.  

Let me know if you come up with any other questions!

PS: You can boost the syncing process if needed by changing your bandwidth settings from the app's preferences

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Zenco
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

After having this issue since 5/5/20 and emailling back and forth with Noah from Dropbox Support till 7/22/20 when Maddison from Dropbox Support toke over the case and i followed all givin steps and the problem was still existing my only option after 4 MONTHS was to reinstall windows and this worked for me. its a waste of time to wait for the issue to be solved by Dropbox, just ask your IT department to reinstall windows.

Thanks,

katrisone
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

not sure where to put this issue. Anyway - I have w10, dropbox every half an hour returns this message: [removed per the Community's Guidelines]. It is very annoying and also I need to keep dropbox opened ideally all the time (my students are uplading hand histories from poker tracker - Holdem Manager 3, I am trying to amtomatically import them to mine). It not only shut downs often but it seems that it afftect the whole process (missing files at both ends etc..).

I tried I think everything - rebooting, reinstalling, delinking from my account back and forth, opening as admin, allowing it in firewall, updating everything including windows...

Any other recommendation? 

Thx

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    dragomirradev Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?