cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox unusable now.

Dropbox unusable now.

fotofundi
Explorer | Level 4

I am posting this message here because I cannot find any other way of communicating with you from your website.

Whilst I fully understand that it is necessary for you to use more recent versions of Android to develop your product, it seems no one has given thought to the fact that this makes it impossible for some customers to continue using Dropbox when their hardware will no longer upgrade to a more recent version of Android. WHY should anyone be forced to have to spend $$$$$$ on a new tablet/phone just because you develop a product that can only work with a later versions of Android?

I have a perfectly good working Samsung tablet that has Android v5 installed and all worked well until I was forced to do a factory reset a couple of days ago. Now I cannot use Dropbox as the latest version which is installed by default on a factory reset is incompatible with Android v5, and will only work with Android v6 and above!!

If you are going to make it impossible to uninstal Dropbox, at least make sure that when it re-instals it uses a version compatible with the OS!! Failing that, can you please provide earlier versions of Dropbox from your website that have the ability to overwrite the later versions, so we can continue to use the product.

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox unusable now.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @fotofundi, thanks for joining the Community.

I understand your frustration over this matter.

Regarding the device itself, it might already have a pre-installed version of the Dropbox mobile app, which would be provided by the developer of the phone.

It isn't possible to uninstall these apps directly, however, they can be disabled within the OS itself.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fotofundi
Explorer | Level 4

As mentioned in my original post, I had to do a complete factory reset. If my version of Dropbox was in the factory firmware then it would still work - as it did before I did the reset, but when I try to log on to the version now on my tablet it refuses to accept ANY email address. Looking at other posts this problem appears to occur when a later version of Dropbox no longer works on the Android OS installed on the machine.

I have Android v5 and cannot upgrade beyond that version. According to your website the current version of Dropbox will not work with anything less than Android v6, so how do I get Dropbox to work on my tablet? - that's the REAL question.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you have the pre-installed version of the Dropbox mobile app on a device running Android 5.0, which can't be upgraded either, then it won't be possible to connect to Dropbox. 

Likewise, it might not be possible to sign into the Dropbox site, since the browsers installed on the device could be outdated versions as well.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fotofundi
Explorer | Level 4

In other words "Dropbox doesn't care a **bleep** about its users if they are not prepared to spend $$$ upgrading to the latest Android  phone/tablet that will allow their product to work".

Goodbye Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

fotofundi Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?