cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox using too much memory on my PC

Dropbox using too much memory on my PC

skier1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I only have 3,200 files (2.56 GB) and Dropbox uses 3X more memory than anything else on my PC (win 10 v2004). I've had DB (syncing to my PC and Laptop)  for many years, never had or noticed this issue and I've never had such a slow computer. I don't use DB all that much, mostly a few files/year and to upload photos periodically.  Most days it isn't used but it sure uses my MEMORY! I don't think there are any improper permissions or files, and there aren't over 300,000 files.  Any suggestions how to reduce the memory (other than what's already been posted on the forums which didn't apply or help?) .  Thx so much in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here @skier1!

Can you try doing an advanced reinstall of the desktop app?

Please bear in mind that if you have a Basic Dropbox account that there is a 3 device limit. If you currently have more than 3 devices connected to your account then let me know as you would need to disconnect all but 2 devices to reconnect this one.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @skier1, I hope you're doing well today!

If you haven't already, can you check out this article and let me know if any of the points there help at all?

If not, please let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed at the moment.

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

skier1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, and thx so much!  Yes, i had seen a similar article and the only item that applies is external factors eg Norton, Malwarebytes and possibly Windows Defender (mostly disabled anyway), each of which i disabled and looked at the task manager for improvement, there was no improvement.  I am using Dropbox v98.4.158 and I've attached a photo of my task manager with the high usage.  Thx!!task mgr screen.JPG

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking that @skier1.

Can you let me know what the current sync status of the app is? Do you notice the high usage when the app is syncing files or when it's "up to date"?

Let me know!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

skier1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The screenshot below is after Dropbox has synced on startup and is "up to date". Seems like it's using lots of memory for doing nothing. Thx again for your assistance.

task mgr screen.JPG

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking on that @skier1!

Could you try the following steps to fix any incorrect file permissions to see if that does the trick?

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. While holding the Alt+H keys, click "Fix Hardlinks".

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please follow the steps again and instead click "Fix permissions". The app might need to sync for a while after doing this, so please just keep an eye out for any change in the memory usage of the app.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

skier1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, it didn't take but a few seconds to do each of those actions.  And it reported they were each "successfully done".  No change in the amount of memory needed by Dropbox.  Any other suggestions?  Thx, in advance. Sheree

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here @skier1!

Can you try doing an advanced reinstall of the desktop app?

Please bear in mind that if you have a Basic Dropbox account that there is a 3 device limit. If you currently have more than 3 devices connected to your account then let me know as you would need to disconnect all but 2 devices to reconnect this one.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

skier1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, Daphne and thanks again for your help.  I'm using only my desktop, laptop, phone for Dropbox so I am not concerned about the 3 device limit.  For now, I'm not going to do the advanced reinstall but I will remember it for the future.  Dropbox does seem to have a very high number (top 3) in the memory usage column of the task manager processes, but my computers seem to be running ok.  Given that, i'm reluctant to mess up something (even worse) by doing the advanced reinstall.  I've thought about it for a couple of days.  I really appreciate your efforts and I will keep all this in mind for the future but for now I conclude that Dropbox just uses alot of memory.  Thx again, stay healthy and safe.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your update @skier1!

I completely understand, not to worry at all. If you happen to change your mind and want to give it a shot, or you have any other questions at all then please don't hesitate to drop me another post here. :grin:

I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead - stay safe!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?