cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't install on Windows 7 PC

Dropbox won't install on Windows 7 PC

J S.2
New member | Level 1

When I try to install dropbox on my PC, I get two alternating error messages: "Downloading Dropbox", "Retry in 3 seconds", "Downloading Dropbox", "Retry in 3 seconds". Then an a message pops up saying Dropbox could not be installed and would I like to try a different installer. When I click "Yes", it says "Page cannot be found". I am trying to use this with YNAB, so I was really hoping this would work. Thanks!

14 Replies 14

Re: Dropbox won't install on Windows 7 PC

Bryan B.2
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same issue on a few computers...anyone have a fix?

Graham B.5
New member | Level 1

Similar problem, New Windows Home Premium. No errir messages, Dropbox is present in the start menu list but launching it does noting (regardless of giving it admin privileges. Tried to uninstall to re-try and the uninstaller hangs.
It's in a French language version of W7, if that is relevant.

I'm successfully running DB on 3 XP machines and 2 Androids, so this is a shock 😞

Stuart T.2
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same problem. I have uninstalled dropbox, because it was not opening and was missing from my taskbar. But now I cannot install it again. Any answers?

Graham B.5
New member | Level 1

After a couple of laps with the Dropbox help-centre, I gave up and installed W8.1 Pro. No further problems. I have to wonder if the OEM/French version of W7 I had was dodgy, there were also problems installing all of the SP1 updates. Also, since it was an OEM, no possibility to download a new ISO from the MS site 😞

Steve L.50
New member | Level 1

right click on the dropbox installer file - select 'troubleshoot compatibility'; then follow its suggestions. Worked for me after a frustrating couple of hours trying to install dropbox.

thire
New member | Level 1

A proxy was enabled in IE configuration (I never use IE !) . But it seems that the installer use IE for dowloading.
Disabling proxy solve my problem.

Stoo B.
New member | Level 1

I had a very similar issue, and it turned out that I was missing a bunch of root certificates on the computer account of the OS. Installed the certs, and the installer ran just fine and behaved itself after that.

Robert D.44
New member | Level 1

Installed Dropbox on 64bit Windows 7, after deleting the first install because it wouldn't open from the desktop icon or in the program listing. Still won't open. Can get it to open from the system tray at bottom, far right. NOT Happy. May delete and forget it.

Patrick C.49
New member | Level 1

Same problem here. Trying to get the last install (3.12.6) on a Win 7 in French.

Previous version stopped working and was always asking to update...without success.

Managed to de-install but can't get any new version to install. Registry is fully cleaned up, no trace of previous install.

Went to https://www.dropbox.com/release_notes for previous version. Managed to install the 3.4.6 without problem, but won't work since that client is now asking to upgrade - Back to square 1. 

Then tried the next stable 3.6.4 that says: "New Windows Installer" Hmm... and it does not work....

Sincerely, anyway to get some help?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Travis D. New member | Level 1
    Adriaan K. New member | Level 1
    Patrick C.49 New member | Level 1
    Robert D.44 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?