cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't launch

Dropbox won't launch

DarrenTemple
New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I'm getting the folowing error when I try and launch dropbox, and have been asked to send this link to Dropbox support.

file:///c:/users/darren/appdata/local/temp/dropbox_errorelr7d7.txt

"Couldn't start Dropbox"

"This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network shae can also cause an error."

"Please contact Dropbox support with the following info for help. file:///c:/users/darren/appdata/local/temp/dropbox_errorelr7d7.txt"

If anyone can help I would appreciate it !!

Darren.

I've followed the steps and made changes to the temp folder to see if it was a permissions error, but I'm still getting the same one. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox won't launch

Mark
Super User II
Have you send them the file as is asked?
www.dropbox.com/support to log a ticket and http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II
Have you send them the file as is asked?
www.dropbox.com/support to log a ticket and http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

DarrenTemple
New member | Level 2

Thanks MArk ! - I've logged it with support also.

D.

van
Helpful | Level 6

I have two computers but only one (the iMac) is refusing to start up Dropbox. My other computer (a MacBookPro laptop) starts up Dropbox just fine. Both computers are running OSX 10.6.8 and both have Dropbox v. 16.4.29. I am not sure how long the iMac Dropbox has had this problem but I noticed it on Dec. 13th.

I cannot get the iMac Dropbox to load and there is no longer a Dropbox icon on the toolbar on the top of the screen. When trying to start up the Dropbox app from my applications folder, I get an alert screen saying "COULDN'T START DROPBOX" with several things to try. Which I have tried, to no avail:

1-tried to fix my permissions (no effect)
2-forwarded the info that the alert box said to send (so far only an automated response)
3-tried unlinking and relinking my iMac but only succeeded part way. Could not relink because I got no prompt screen to allow me to do it.

I've joined another forum at <https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/Couldn-t-start-Dropbox-This-is-usually-because-of-a-p...> but so far no one there has found a solution either.

Completely stymied.

Uncola93
Helpful | Level 5

Hi.  2017-09-06. Having this problem currently, almost a year later, no luck with the suggested remedies, tried them all including re-installing DBox. Basically, Dropbox quit mid-session and I haven't been able to re-activate it, am stuck with "Couldn't launch Dropbox" msg, the App is not running.

Have been using DBox without incident for a long time on this machine. Mac Mini running under Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 latter supported until 2018. Any suggestions? Log follows (have replaced user info with bullets)....

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 34.4.20
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 261
ppid: 178
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='••••••••', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='••••••••', pw_dir='/Users/••••••••', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='••••••••', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='••••••••', pw_dir='/Users/••••••••', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: u'/'
     real_path='/'
               mode=041775    uid=0    gid=80
     parent    mode=041775    uid=0    gid=80
HOME: u'/Users/••••••••'
appdata: u'/Users/••••••••/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path=u'/Users/••••••••/.dropbox/instance1'
                   mode=040700    uid=501    gid=20
         parent    mode=040700    uid=501    gid=20
dropbox_path: u'/Users/••••••••/Dropbox'
              real_path=u'/Users/••••••••/Dropbox'
              parent    mode=040750    uid=501    gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                          mode=0100755    uid=501    gid=20
                parent    mode=040755    uid=501    gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                          not found
                parent    not found
tempdir: u'/var/folders/Ha/Ha5IRdnsGIOhSnp9Bx01-++++TI/-Tmp-'
         real_path=u'/private/var/folders/Ha/Ha5IRdnsGIOhSnp9Bx01-++++TI/-Tmp-'
         parent    mode=040755    uid=501    gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5851, in main_startup
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 2561, in run
  File "ui/common/uikit.pyc", line 641, in create_ui_kit
  File "ui/cocoa/uikit.pyc", line 58, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/ui/cocoa/tray_popup/tray_controller.pyc", line 56, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/ui/cocoa/tray_popup/tray_popup.pyc", line 122, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/ui/server_views/v2/cocoa/__init__.pyc", line 9, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/ui/server_views/v2/cocoa/standalone_window.pyc", line 76, in <module>
  File "dropbox/foundation/html_views/cocoa/__init__.pyc", line 11, in <module>
  File "dropbox/foundation/html_views/cocoa/webview.pyc", line 27, in <module>
  File "Tungsten/__init__.pyc", line 29, in <module>
  File "objc/_lazyimport.pyc", line 76, in __init__
  File "objc/_lazyimport.pyc", line 38, in _loadBundle
ImportError: Bundle could not be loaded

-----------------------------------------------------end of log-------------------------------

LGMc
New member | Level 2

Me too! 2017-09-08 recieved this exact message yesterday (first time I used the computer in couple days) and my "txt" file is virtually identical to Uncola93.  I too have used DBox for years on this machine running 10.6.8.

DBox appears to have changed something??

badomen
Helpful | Level 5

Same here on 10.6.8 as of a couple days ago.  I knew we were going to be dropped as of 2018 - just didn't expect it a few months early....

drarlenb
New member | Level 2

Same problem here for several months now. None of the suggestions worked...does anyone have a solution yet?

Rich
Super User II

drarlenb wrote:

Same problem here for several months now. None of the suggestions worked...does anyone have a solution yet?

What problem, exactly? There are different operating systems and, in fact, problems mentioned in this thread. What, specifically, are you having a problem with? Please provide details of the enviroment as well (OS, Dropbox version, steps taken, etc.).

gorilla57
New member | Level 2

I am getting the following error message.  I tried the terminal instructions fix on the web site.  Help please.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 41.4.80
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 43949
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='gorilla57', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Joe Zasadzinski 2', pw_dir='/Users/gorilla 1', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='gorilla57', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Joe Zasadzinski 2', pw_dir='/Users/gorilla 1', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: u'/'
     real_path='/'
               mode=040755    uid=0    gid=0
     parent    mode=040755    uid=0    gid=0
HOME: u'/Users/gorilla 1'
appdata: u'/Users/gorilla 1/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path=u'/Users/gorilla 1/.dropbox/instance1'
                   mode=040700    uid=502    gid=20
         parent    mode=040700    uid=502    gid=20
dropbox_path: u'/Users/gorilla/Dropbox'

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?