Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox won't link to computer

Explorer | Level 4

Apparently I started a free business trial that converted my dropbox to a business account, and as part of the process I created a new personal account and some sort of one member team.  

The trial ended, and I now have to two folders.  One is called Personal and is Dropbox Basic.  The other is  Work and is a Dropbox Plus account. they both share the same 1.0 TB

the software keeps asking me to link my Personal Dropbox, but the folder isn't being installed on my computer.  

What can I do?

I have the latest operating system and dropbox software.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox won't link to computer

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate it that you circled back to me here on this behavior Benjamin (@Benjamin W.) with all these additional details, now I have a clear picture of what happened! 

As I’ll need to have a closer look on the info I have on my tools, I’ve already created a support request on our system on your behalf & once you get back in touch with me there, I’ll look into that with you a bit more closely. 

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you more asap. Thanks again for all the time you’ve devoted on that & your efforts! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Benjamin W., let me ask you a couple questions that will help me determine the best next steps for you!

as part of the process I created a new personal account and some sort of one member team.  

As you mentioned that you've created a second account that's separate from the team, can you let me know whether you had linked them online & across your devices while you still had the Dropbox Business trial account? This should have prompted you to sync both accounts locally on your pc/ Mac. Did you do that at the time?  

and I now have to two folders.  One is called Personal and is Dropbox Basic.  

Do both folders sync? (Note: You should be able to determine that based on the syncing icons on your files Arrows Counter ClockWhite check mark.)

Please do let me know of the details above & I’ll make sure to get back in touch with you asap. Have a wonderful rest of you day until we talk again!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hi. 1. they were linked online, in the web portal i can switch between them.

2. linked across devices? maybe my phone and one other computer, but not this one. so, maybe my main office machine was. it’s 400 miles away.

3. No. the personal folder does not sync. it does not appear to be part of dropbox anymore.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for your prompt message Benjamin W.  & please accept my apologies for the slight delay in replying. 

As you’ve mentioned that you’ve linked both accounts online, then it’s my understanding that your current scheme is as follows: 

• Account A that was converted from personal to Business. After you downgraded, this should have been your Work account.  
  • When you created the Dropbox Business trial, you linked a Personal account online (Account B), that’s on a Basic plan. 
the software keeps asking me to link my Personal Dropbox, but the folder isn't being installed on my computer.  

If so, then it’s my understanding that you’ve connected your Dropbox Work folder to your desktop & you’re being prompted to connect your Personal Dropbox account as well. 

Despite the fact that both accounts are linked online, you’ll still have to sign in across your devices to access them there (if you’d like to, of course…). You'll be able to accomplish that once you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray & navigate on the Account tab, where you’ll be able to sync your second account. For convenience’ sake, I’m just including the steps below: 

(Note: I’m posting the steps for a pc, though you may refer to this resource if you’re using a Mac.)

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  1. Click the icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
  1. Select the Account 👤 tab.
  1. If you already signed in to your work account, select the Personal tab. Or, if you already signed in to your personal account, select the tab with your company's name.
  1. Click the Link button.
  1. Enter the password for your second account.

I hope that this addresses your initial inquiry & please do let me know here in case you have any more questions or in case I’ve misunderstood your initial description & I’ll follow-up asap. Wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead!

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jane:  I've obviously already attempted to link the account on the device.  It will not do so.  

So, as it stands, you have the current state of my (paid) account. I cannot access the 'personal' account on my computer.  I cannot not add it from the the system tray, or any link.  Is there a solution short of just adding the contents from my computer to the operational folder and then deleting this new 'personal' account?????

On a seperate note, assuming I am able to end this process with separate folders what's the point of the business folder?  Doesn't it act as a folder that just holds docs for my one (1) person 'team' after I reverted (downgraded is such a harsh word since I purchased a business plan)?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

one last piece of information,  when I attempt the process  a spinning ball presents itself on screen, but the drop box icon never depicts the revolving arrows.  The spinning ball never stops and the progarm eventually fails as non responsive.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate it that you circled back to me here on this behavior Benjamin (@Benjamin W.) with all these additional details, now I have a clear picture of what happened! 

As I’ll need to have a closer look on the info I have on my tools, I’ve already created a support request on our system on your behalf & once you get back in touch with me there, I’ll look into that with you a bit more closely. 

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you more asap. Thanks again for all the time you’ve devoted on that & your efforts! 

Jane

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?