cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't open but says it's open so I can't uninstall

Dropbox won't open but says it's open so I can't uninstall

Blain B.
Helpful | Level 5

Setup a new user in Mac High Sierra. All works fine except Dropbox. I open it but no window appears. I try to delete it so I can set it up again but it won't move to the Trash because it says it's open. I have made sure it is not in Log0n Items and it doesn't appear in force quit.

I've tried going back to a previous user to delete it but same problem. I've made sure both users have all permissions. What else can I try to delete it and reinstall?

Someone else posted that the answer is in HKEY_USERS{SID}\Software\Dropbox, but I have no idea how to get to that and web search revealed nothing.

12 Replies 12

Elixir
Super User

Hi @Blain B., can you please see if the Dropbox process appears in the Activity Monitor. Just launch Spotlight search ([command] + [space bar]) and search for Activity Monitor. There in the Memory tab, you should find Dropbox process if it is running. Select the process, and click force quit. Then uninstall Dropbox and reinstall. If the problem persists try these steps https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall 

2018-06-25 at 1.55 PM.png

Those registry (HKEY_USERS...) tricks are for Windows operating system. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi Blain, sorry to hear about this. 

Those instructions refer to the registry, which is only found in Windows machines and not Macs.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CatherineTodd
Explorer | Level 4

These instructions do not help to remove Dropbox nor tell me how to uninstall since it says there are "plugins in use" when I tried to force quit Dropbox and move to the trash. I am using Macbook Air OS 10.10.5. Now I remember why I quit using Dropbox before. PLEASE HELP!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear you're still having issues with this @CatherineTodd!

In order to fix this issue, you should open the 'Activity Monitor' utility on your computer, normally located under Applications > Utilities, and see if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device.

Once you have launched 'Activity Monitor', if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, could you please perform the following steps?

• Click on the line that references the process to select it
  • Click on the 'X' at the top left corner of the screen. Be careful not to click on the 'X' that closes the window, but the one that will 'Force a process to quit'.

After you've done so, please try to follow the normal uninstall instructions

You should be ready to go now Catherine. Should you need anything else, just let me know. Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

heide
New member | Level 2

THANK YOU!!!!!! I have ben trying everything - even all of the suggestions in the Apple community that seemed to work for everyone else. This FINALLY worked!! Thank you thank you thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear this worked for you Heide ( @heide)!

Should you ever need anything else, feel free to ask; we'd be more than happy to assist.

Thanks for using Dropbox and have a lovely weekend! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mariamineo
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem. I followed the directions to use the Activity Monitor and force quit Dropbox. Still couldn't delete the app. Then I realized the dropbox things in the activity monitor that kept popping up were linked to Safari. I was in the Dropbox Support forum on Safari. I quit Safari. And was able to uninstall Dropbox...finally.

Now I have to figure out why the reinstallation isn't working! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Are you getting any errors @mariamineo? Could you share a screenshot?

Have you by any chance tried our offline installer from the following page directly? 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-64-4-141/m-p/322084#M5164

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ScottTexProp
New member | Level 2

drop.JPGI cannot locate this folder anywhere.  The only folder open is windows edge or chrome to download the pc version.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    ScottTexProp New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?