cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won’t open on Mac Catalina 10.15.4

Dropbox won’t open on Mac Catalina 10.15.4

carhat22
Explorer | Level 3

I had to sign out of the Dropbox desktop app on my MacBook. When I went to sign back in I got a message that I needed to download the current version of Dropbox and it wouldn’t let me sign in. I downloaded the current version and it installed without any problems. When I try to open the Dropbox app it flashes up and then closes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice with no luck. The Dropbox app is in my Applications folder. 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015

macOS Catalina 10.15.4(19E287).

12 Replies 12

Re: Dropbox won’t open on Mac Catalina 10.15.4

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @carhat22, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like you have security software, or some other app, that is preventing the Dropbox desktop application from updating.

Could you try temporarily disabling any apps like these, and try reinstalling the app using this link?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

carhat22
Explorer | Level 3

I tried downloading the file again and the same thing happened. I don’t have any security software running that I know of. Where do I go to see if any security software, or some other app, that is preventing the Dropbox desktop application from updating/opening is running?

Jay
Dropboxer

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices, try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

carhat22
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay wrote:

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices, try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link

I’m on a Dropbox Basic plan. 

Jay
Dropboxer

Could you check if you have more than 3 devices connected according to this link? If you don't and your device is already listed as connected, try the steps in my previous post.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

carhat22
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay wrote:

Could you check if you have more than 3 devices connected according to this link? If you don't and your device is already listed as connected, try the steps in my previous post.

I only have 2 devices connected. My MacBook was  already listed as connected, so I tried the steps in your previous post. It downloaded and started to open but it quit. It just flashed the Set Up Dropbox screen and closed.

What now? 

Jay
Dropboxer

If you are able to open the app before it quits, could you try the steps in this post and let me know how it goes?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

carhat22
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay wrote:

If you are able to open the app before it quits, could you try the steps in this post and let me know how it goes?

I can’t open the app before it quits. 

carhat22
Explorer | Level 3

@carhat22 wrote:

@Jay wrote:

I can’t open the app before it quits. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

carhat22 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?