cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't start/sign in (Mac Big Sur)

Dropbox won't start/sign in (Mac Big Sur)

kbronner
Explorer | Level 3

Hello all,

I just got a new-to-me computer running Mac Big Sur, and I am tearing my hair out trying to get the Dropbox desktop app to work.

After installation, Dropbox opens but fails to let me sign in. Any attempt to sign in results in blank sign-in window with a spinning wait icon. It spins for 5 minutes (I timed it), and eventually shows an error message saying “No internet connection" with a "Retry" button that flashes when I click it, but nothing happens. The computer has a working network connection, and I can login to Dropbox in a browser on the same device.

The app was removed and reinstalled several times using the Advanced Reinstall process published by Dropbox while making different attempts to sign in.

Googling the error results in articles discussing the proxy settings in Dropbox and recommends switching from Auto-detect to No Proxy. This makes no difference.

Even though other devices on the home network can use Dropbox just fine, I tried changing from a Comcast to a Verizon network connection to rule out a DNS issue. 

Also tried using wireless and wired connections to the home network. 

Also tried with the firewall disabled.

The logs have all kinds of mystifying information:
rejecting read of { kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, kristybronner, kCFPreferencesAnyHost, /Users/kristybronner/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist, managed: 0 } from process 592 (Dropbox Web Helper) because accessing preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-read or file-read-data sandbox access

rejecting write of key(s) NSScrollViewRubberbanding in { com.dropbox.tungsten.helper, kristybronner, kCFPreferencesAnyHost, /Users/kristybronner/Library/Preferences/com.dropbox.tungsten.helper.plist, managed: 0 } from process 1497 (Dropbox Web Helper) because setting preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-write or file-write-data sandbox access

Anyone have a clue what might be blocking the desktop app from logging in?

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox won't start/sign in (Mac Big Sur)

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @kbronner, welcome to our Community!

This is very interesting. Connection issues such as these are usually due to security apps/services you have installed on your computer. 

Is there perhaps an antivirus that could be blocking Dropbox, since you already checked your firewall/proxy?

Also, are you able to access Dropbox from the website?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kbronner
Explorer | Level 3
I don’t (yet) have any antivirus software installed, and I can get into Dropbox in a web browser.

Lori
Dropboxer
Sorry to jump in here @kbronner, but let me ask.

If you try connecting on a different WiFi, as a test, does that work?

Also, feel free to send us a screenshot of the message you see on your end. It would help us get a better visual.

Cheers.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kbronner
Explorer | Level 3

We tried it on two different WiFi networks, as well as a wired one.

We never did figure out what was blocking it, but our IT guy eventually got it to work by blowing everything away and completely reinstalling Big Sur. Now we need to figure out how to migrate over my data without breaking it again.

Lori
Dropboxer
Your IT saved the day @kbronner

Don't hesitate to get back to us if anything comes up.

Have a lovely weekend ahead,enjoy!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    kbronner Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?