cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't uninstall or install on Windows 10

Dropbox won't uninstall or install on Windows 10

DeWrek
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox has been running on my laptop for many months without problem. My set-up is a bit different - it syncs to a (Truecrypt) encrypted portion of the disc, and it only runs when I start it, but it was very happy. Until I went away for a month (during which time it didn't run). On returning, it would not start - just seemed to go into a black hole. Tried to uninstall it - the uninstall hung with the progress bar showing about 60% complete. Tried to install - withing a few seconds, it failed with a "installer failed to start" message. I followed the Advanced reinstall instructions to delete the files in the various locations and re-tried the install - same result. I went through the Advanced reinstall instructions again and tried the Offline installer - same result. There are no error or critical messages in the event logs for Application,  Security, Setup or System. I have run the MS app uninstall/install troubleshooter and retried the install, same esult.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Is there a cleanup utility that will remove all traces of Dropbox so that an install will run?

Thanks in advance for your help.

13 Replies 13

Re: Dropbox won't uninstall or install on Windows 10

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, since you’ve already tried an advanced reinstall, we’d like to check if it’s related to your unique way of setting up the Dropbox desktop application.

If it’s possible, could you try creating a new Windows profile on your machine and install the Dropbox desktop application as normal using the offline installer, using the default location for the Dropbox folder, not the Truecrypt mount.

If it does install fine, pause the syncing, since we don’t want it on this profile, and let me know the results.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DeWrek
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, thanks for the quick response. I'll give that a go, however we are about to go away for a few days so it may not be immediate.

One coment, though - the actual install is (should be!) normal, i.e. into "C:\Program Files (x86)". It is only the data that is being sync'd that lives in the encrypted portion of the data drive.

Jay
Dropboxer

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, if somehow the desktop app can't finish installing due to the Dropbox folder being located in the encrypted mount, this was what I wanted to test. 

So if you could keep the Dropbox folder in the default C:\ folder it installs to, this would be great.

Since it's just a test, and that you might not have enough space on the C:\, we can pause the syncing straightaway, and later delete that computer profile to free up the space further.

Keep me posted in future when you get the chance to test this out!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DeWrek
Explorer | Level 4

Thought I'd make time anyway.

I created an ordinary user (i.e. not an admin), shutdown the machine and re-started it (to ensure nothing was left from the admin user used to try and install Db before). Logged on to the ordinary user, tried to install using the offline installer. It took a few seconds longer to give the same result, i.e. installer failed to start. It ceates a few folders in those few seconds, the same folders that were created when I tried the install using my admin user.

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you try temporarily disabling any antivirus or security programs on your computer, and then attempt the re-installation again (this time on your normal profile, no need for the test account).

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DeWrek
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jay, Thanks for the continued suggestions. Managed to try that using the offline installer (no need for internet access). I use Kaspersky for internet security (KIS). Checked there were no bits left from previous install, exited KIS, ran the Db offline installer. Same result = installer failed to start.

Jay
Dropboxer
Just to rule out any possibility of the anti-virus program, have you updated it to the latest version?

We do have an article which mentioned that a product of theirs can affect connections to the web, which would affect the installer at that stage.

If you’re certain that the app has been granted access, or that none of the Kaspersky services were running hidden in the background, would it be okay if we reach out to your email associated with your forum profile to assist further? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DeWrek
Explorer | Level 4
Yes, KIS is at the latest version and updates itself within that version, as well as its malware definitions, automatically at ;east once a day.

DeWrek
Explorer | Level 4
Sorry, didn't answer the rest of your suggestion. KIS is having no difficulty with SSL connections, and the time/date on the machine is correct. Re reaching out, I guess you mean remote access. I have no problem in principle with remote access provided you can tell me what s/w is used and the safeguards that surround it.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DeWrek Explorer | Level 4
    AccountsSS New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?