cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't unlink from former desktop

Dropbox won't unlink from former desktop

rfazzalore
New member | Level 2

I purchased a new office computer.  I unlinked the former computer from my dropbox account online.  I erased the files as well.  Upon giving the old desktop to an associate, he logged in to his Dropbox.  It downloaded all of my files back plus his dropbox files.  He now has my files and his files and is even able to access my files on his other devices (iPhone, tablet, etc.)  In my Dropbox under security, it still says the unlinking is "pending."  This is unbelievable to me.  HELP!

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox won't unlink from former desktop

Rich
Super User II
If by erasing the files you mean that you used the remote wipe option while unlinking the computer, then you should know that the remote wipe option is not a guarantee; it's a best effort.

After unlinking and selecting the option to delete the files, the next time the device connects to the Internet it's told to remove the files. If it can't make a connection, it has no way to know that the files should be wiped. If the new owner sets up Dropbox while your files are still on the device, and the same Dropbox folder is used, it will merge any files in that folder into their account. He's able to access your files because they were still on the computer; not because they were downloaded back to the computer again (that's not possible if you unlinked it).

rfazzalore
New member | Level 2

Rich,

Thanks so much for your answer.  Actually, I manually deleted all the files on the old desktop.  Then, I also removed Dropbox from that computer's hard drive.  Upon receiving the old computer, my colleague downloaded dropbox again and logged in with his credentials.  It then proceeded to download my files and his.  

In my Dropbox account, it is still saying that the deactivate is "pending."  

Rich
Super User II

rfazzalore wrote:

Upon receiving the old computer, my colleague downloaded dropbox again and logged in with his credentials.  It then proceeded to download my files and his.

If he logged in as himself, there's no way for Dropbox to download your files. It's just not possible. The only way for your files to appear in his Dropbox folder is if they were still on the computer.

Even if you hadn't unlinked the computer... he logged is as himself. That means the computer is now linked to his account (and you can't be linked to two at the same time). There's no way for it to download your files while linked to his account.

In my Dropbox account, it is still saying that the deactivate is "pending."

Does it look like this?

PendingPending

If so, that's pending the deletion of the files (you told it to remotely delete the files upon unlinking it). The unlink process is immediate and the device is removed from that page. If you tell it to also delete the files in the process, it moves to a Delete in progress section (see the header) and changes the status to pending until it can confirm that the files are deleted. If you removed Dropbox from the computer before that process completes, then it will never change from pending because it can no longer communicate with the computer (as your account).

You can contact Support if you need further assistance, but they will likely tell you the same thing.

rfazzalore
New member | Level 2

Thanks for this help. So, do you think I should log back in to Dropbox on that computer and then  Re-authorize the computer? Then go through the process again and allow it to delete?  

The only thing I don't understand is that my files are in his Dropbox now.  I guess we can go through and he can delete my files from his Dropbox.

Does this sound like a wise move?

(I really appreciate you taking time to respond to the earlier questions.  Thanks again.) 

Rich
Super User II
So, do you think I should log back in to Dropbox on that computer and then  Re-authorize the computer? Then go through the process again and allow it to delete?

No. If it's already linked to his account, don't bother.

I guess we can go through and he can delete my files from his Dropbox.

That's really the best option. Delete one of your files from the computer and make sure that the deletion is synced to his account (have him log in to the Dropbox website and see if the file gets deleted there when it's deleted from the computer). Check to make sure the file ISN'T being deleted from your account. If that's the case, then continue deleting the rest of your files from the computer.

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    rfazzalore New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?