cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't update - Windows 7

Dropbox won't update - Windows 7

YoungRighty
Explorer | Level 3

When I launch Dropbox, I'm getting a window labeled "Dropbox Setup" telling me that I'm running an older version of Dropbox, with a button "Update Dropbox". When I click it, it opens a web browser page and downloads DropboxInstaller. When I run the installer, nothing seems to happen.

If I close the "Dropbox Setup" window, Dropbox stops running. If I restart Dropbox, the window appears and the same symptoms persist.

I feel like I'm in an idiot loop here. What am I missing?

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox won't update - Windows 7

Vivian
Dropboxer

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

It seems like the Dropbox installation failed to install.  Common reasons that may cause this are incomplete downloads, network interruptions, or server-side errors.

Since you already tried to re-download the Dropbox installer and received an error, could you please try using the Dropbox offline installer?

Simply click on the link below, choose your type of device and click on Offline Installer.

www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-16-4-29/m-p/197486#M3530 

If the error persists, temporarily disable or unistall any antivirus software and repeat the above. For further troubleshooting steps, please visist the below Help Center article:

- www.dropbox.com/help/8109

We hope this helps! Let us know if the installation was successful.

Thank you,

Vivian

:slight_smile:

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
🙂

dropdrop
New member | Level 2

same goes for me, none of your solutions provided are working. i need to get the dropbox back for work purposes....please help

YoungRighty
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. The only anti-virus software I run is Security Essentials and I have real-time protection turned off. I have rebooted several times. And I have tried both the regular and offline installer many times, including as Administrator. No change in symptoms.

YoungRighty
Explorer | Level 3
I've now completely uninstalled Dropbox. Neither installer will run, including as Administrator.

Vivian
Dropboxer

Hi there,

Thanks for the post!

Could you please let us know which service pack your running on your Windows 7? Also, is your windows updates enabled?

In the event that you are trying to install it on your work computer, the issue may be caused due to the network admininstrative privleges.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks,

Vivian

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
🙂

YoungRighty
Explorer | Level 3

I was running Windows 7 SP1, and updates were enabled and happending regularly. I have since gone ahead and upgraded to Windows 10 with no change to symptoms.

This is not on a domain. Now on Windows 10 Pro.

I have also tried launching installer as Adminsitrator many times (both regular and stand-alone installer).

YoungRighty
Explorer | Level 3

I was able to get the standalone installer to run by rebooting Windows 10 in safe mode. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

YoungRighty Explorer | Level 3
    Vivian Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?