cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't work on my Android 9 phone

Dropbox won't work on my Android 9 phone

rmcel123
Helpful | Level 6

I have been using Dropbox for some time and it worked well for my limited needs. I recently got a new phone that has Android 9 on it and I have installed and reinstalled, uninstalled, rebooted, etc DB many times. I try to run it now and it looks like it is working at first but once the DB screen appears it shuts down and doesn't run. Many attempts at the above and no luck.

I initially had installed DB a month or 2 ago and same problem but after much research, I found a newer copy of the program and it worked for a week or so. My phone recently installed an Android security patch on Sep 5 and I suspect that the software doesn't work with it. My Kernel is 4.4.147. I suspect that it may be the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions? Can I uninstall the latest patch on the phone? Does DB know about this issue? Is there a Beta version to try? Very frustrating lately after years of great DB use.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox won't work on my Android 9 phone

rmcel123
Helpful | Level 6

Finally! Tech support contacted me and gave me some things to try (which I had already done many times) but the latest version 210.2.4 seems to be working now! I figured that eventually they would discover the cause and a newer version would fix it but it took a long time. I will go back to DB and hopefully it performs as well as it did in the past.

Thanks for all of the help to get this solved.

Dave

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello there @rmcel123, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

I'll just need a bit more info to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• Could you confirm for me if you're running the latest version of the mobile app?
  • Do you experience this regardless of the WiFi network that you're connected to? 
  • Have you tried connecting to cellular data as well?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rmcel123
Helpful | Level 6

I am using 204.2.4 which is the latest Android version I believe. I only use Dropbox while on wifi and have never had any issues before using it this way. Besides, I can't even get the app to open at all. You get the splash screen and then it shuts down and disappears. It should openand then tell you it can't connect to get your files, etc I would think.

Thanks for any assistance you can give. I am starting to use Google Photos which isn't as nice as DB but I did just start using it. If I don't figure this out soon I guess it is time to switch!

Dave

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @rmcel123, thanks for the update. 

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app again, rebooting the device, and then reinstalling it to see if this helps?

Do you have any security software on the Android which could be preventing the app from working as it should?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rmcel123
Helpful | Level 6

I have uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled severall times. I have looked for newer versions of the software and so far I have the latest. I don't have any security software running on my phone. I have given DB more permissions than it needs to make sure it can run. I can't be the only one with this issue? I guess I have to wait for a new update to fix it hopefully.

I am on DB basic and only have 3 devices on it. Even if I had more devices, etc the program should still open and then tell me about having too many devices.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey Dave; I'm sorry to jump in here, but I just took a look and our most recent version for Android devices seems to be 206.2.2.  

Can you update the app's version to see if that will do the trick? 

Thanks!

PS: You may need to uninstall and re-install the app if it keeps crashing. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

rmcel123
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the heads up on the app version. I tried the usual uninstall reboot reinstall a few times and still the same problem. Since nobody else seems to have this problem it must be my phone that is causing it. As much as I don't like Google pics, it is what I am using right now. My days of DB may be over unfortunately.

Thanks for trying to help.Much appreciated

Dave

rmcel123
Helpful | Level 6

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have uninstalled rebooted, etc several times now and no luck. Dropbox tries to start, I get the splash screen and then shuts down. I just installed the latest version  208.2.4 and still no luck. Does anyone have it installed on an Android 9 device? I am disappointed that I can't use it but Google Photos is working for me. Not as easy to use but at least it is something.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for sticking with us on this one, Dave; it's much appreciated.

I'm not sure if this will do the trick for you and I'll understand if you're not willing to give it a go at this point, but here goes:

1. Uninstall the app from your Android device
  2. Log into your account on the website and make sure that there are only 2 devices linked shown there. You can remove any older ones from there as well; just make sure to scroll below the web sessions. 
  3. Try installing the mobile app on your mobile anew. 

If those steps didn't help, you may want to try updating your device's OS as well; even though Android 9 is supported normally. 

Let us know if this worked for you.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

rmcel123
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the suggestions. My OS is up to date according to the phone, Sept 5 was last update. I uninstalled and reinstalled version 208.2.4 after I cleared out all of my devices but the computer I am using. Unfortunately no go. Can I find older versions anywhere? Itworked fine a few months ago so maybe an older version would still work? Where can I find these?

The only other thing I can think of is that this stopped working around the same time as the last securtity update on the OS. It may have been an update from the manufacturer which could be the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rmcel123 Helpful | Level 6
    Daphne Dropboxer
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?