cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox wont connect on windows 10

Dropbox wont connect on windows 10

Jezzy
Explorer | Level 3

I have upgraded my laptop and reinstalled dropbox, but it just says connecting and the first time around it came up with an error message saying there was no internet connection, which is a lie, as there was an internet connection available.  Now it just hangs and won't connect.

It just says 'Loading' and at the bottom it says connecting 😞

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox wont connect on windows 10

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists @Jezzy!

I guess you've already restarted your computer during this process so let me give you some more context about this. Read on for more information:

The content missing from the setup window is fetched from an online source and when the content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted (usually by a firewall or an antivirus program). 

Could you ensure that there is no security software that is blocking the connections and that you have whitelisted all of the Dropbox domains within any security software or hardware you have?  

Please ensure that these steps were followed for the configuration of your firewall and double check that the domains listed here have been allowed while you should also make sure that the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit colour.

Also it's important to check that you are running a version of your operating system that we support. We support most versions of operating systems, though not Windows Server distributions. The full list can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements  

Let me know if this persists after going through all of my suggestions and we'll take it from there if needed. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Jezzy - do you happen to use an antivirus, a firewall or a VPN/proxy setting that could be preventing our desktop app from connecting properly to the internet

If so, could you try disabling them for a while, use our offline installer (to be sure) and see if your problem is caused by any of those? 

If the issue is resolved after temporarily disabling (or uninstalling) your antivirus or security program, you should ensure that you configure these applications not to block Dropbox (if you choose to reinstall these).  

Anyhow, keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jezzy
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Walter.  It's now connecting, but when I try to link it to an account, it brings up a blank text box to setup drop box 😞

Walter
Dropboxer

Could you send me a screenshot so I can have a visual (just to be sure we're on the same page) too @Jezzy

Also, did you go through all of my previous suggestions? 

Please let me know what you find.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Jezzy
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, yes I did all of that, have done it previously as well, but haven't tried the offline installer before, so tried that now.  It seems to sort out the not connecting, thanks.  Now onto the next thing which is

setupdropbox.PNG

And that's all that comes up

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists @Jezzy!

I guess you've already restarted your computer during this process so let me give you some more context about this. Read on for more information:

The content missing from the setup window is fetched from an online source and when the content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted (usually by a firewall or an antivirus program). 

Could you ensure that there is no security software that is blocking the connections and that you have whitelisted all of the Dropbox domains within any security software or hardware you have?  

Please ensure that these steps were followed for the configuration of your firewall and double check that the domains listed here have been allowed while you should also make sure that the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit colour.

Also it's important to check that you are running a version of your operating system that we support. We support most versions of operating systems, though not Windows Server distributions. The full list can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements  

Let me know if this persists after going through all of my suggestions and we'll take it from there if needed. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Jezzy Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?