cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore fails randomly

DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore fails randomly

Explorer | Level 4

For reasons I don't understand, after a reformat and reinstall the DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore update Task has started to randomly fail with the reason "The operator or administrator has refused the request. (0x800710E0)" Whenever this happens, dropbox just completely stops running on my machine and I have to restart it. This is a serious issue as the updater runs in the middle of the night, and I have files that are written to it every morning that are then not reflected on my work computer until I can login to that machine and start Dropbox again.

It will run fine for a month, and then suddenly fail twice in 3 days. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it fails, and I don't know if there are any logs where I can see if there's an underlying reason why it's failing. This has been happening for 8 months or so.

Edit: It's possible that the DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore error is unrelated and just that Dropbox is failing to restart after an update. I don't know what to do about that possibility either though.

1 Reply 1

Re: DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore fails randomly

Dropboxer

Hey there @kbuffington - sorry to hear about this.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but when you re-installed Dropbox on the affected computer, did you do it with admin rights?

Based on a search I performed about the specific error you're getting on your Windows machine, I found that it's usually caused by the user profile not having elevated rights to perform such actions - this is exactly why I'm asking if you did re-install with admin rights.

Install the Dropbox desktop app with admin privileges:

1. If you already have Dropbox installed, uninstall the application.
  2. Download the Dropbox application.
  3. Open the installer.
    • Do not right-click, and do not command-click Run as an Administrator
  4. Follow the instructions in the install wizard.
    • If you’re asked for an administrative username and password, enter them or contact your administrator to sign in.
    • If you’re not asked for an administrative username and password, you’re already an admin on your computer.
  5. Complete the installation and sign in to Dropbox.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on the results!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?