cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drope box - Scam or Service

Drope box - Scam or Service

Nihar Jariwala
New member | Level 2

Ever since I have started using Dropbox service has always been an issue, Whenever I have ever had any issue I have got absolutely no response from them,

1. I got this issue few months back where drobox app was creating a "screenshot" folder in my drop box and used to randomly take screenshots of my laptop screen, The only purpose of this activity was to fill my drobox folder and  ask me to upgrade to the paid plan.

I had tried reaching dropbox support to resolve the issue but no update, Then somehow I figured it out from youtube and goolge and resolved it my self 

2. Recently I have changed my laptop and trying to install dropbox again, And it says You are allowed only 3 devices, And its showing me a list of 118 devices from where I am logged in, Funny part is I don't even have more then 3 gadgets how can I log in from 118 devices 

And best part is when I am selecting the device and trying to log out, Its not giving me any option of logging out. And the only option seems to be upgrade to the paid plan.

Point is if you cannot give free option, don't keep it as an option   

4 Replies 4

Re: Drope box - Scam or Service

Mark
Super User II

1) thats simply not right. The point of that service is to store screenshots in your Dropbox folder with premade links for sharing. However, it is a simple tick box to turn it off and stop it. Dont want it? Easy. Disable it: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/screenshots

2) it can also often list all previous installs and updates. Simply unlink them. Not log out (thats the web interface you are looking it - thats irrelevant to the limit of 3)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Mark wrote:

2) it can also often list all previous installs and updates. ...

@Mark, Updates don't require new links! That's just not right. 🙂 When update your Dropbox application, do you link it anew mandatory?! 😉

@Nihar Jariwala, Most probably your confusion comes from your attempt to mix terms, related to each other, but still different. Let's make it clear. Login process represent steps performed by you when authorize yourself to particular system/service, using key credentials (typically username/id, password, etc.). In particular case you are logging in Dropbox service system. If you want you can link to the system some device. To do this, you have to be logged in! The linking is a process of granting access to particular application instance to your account. Once linking completed your log in doesn't need anymore; the access is already granted to the application. You can revoke the access, but till that moment, your application can access your data without log in; the application isn't actually logged in. That's why you can't log out of something never logged in. You can revoke granted access (in short - unlink). 😉

Even more, if you have uninstalled particular application without unlink it in advance, Dropbox service doesn't know anything and keep this link... forever or till explicit unlink. If you install application anew on the same device and link it, there will be 2 links representing the same device! Despite only the last one is working and other is dead, Dropbox system still keeps them both. This can gets repeated many times and you can have links number significantly exceeding devices number! Exactly what you are observing. In addition security page confusingly shows links in "Devices" section. Dropbox system doesn't count your devices actually. Only the links are object of enumerations. Every time where you are able to see "device" within Dropbox documentation and help topics, that actually means link (link to application instance; doesn't matter real or dead)! You can clear all your dead "devices" in the security page.

Hope this clarifies matter.

Mark
Super User II

@Здравко 

It depends - sometimes it does create a new link, especially if you are part of the beta programs / it does database updates. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

🙂😃

@Здравко  wrote:

... 🙂 When update your Dropbox application, do you link it anew mandatory?! 😉

@Mark wrote:

It depends - .... 

🤷

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?