cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropxox installation problems

Dropxox installation problems

Tina Kavsek
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, after years of usage Dropbox suddenly stopped yesterday on my PC. Did not want to sync the files. After a day (logging out, restarting computer etc.) I uninstalled the app, installed it again, but does not want to connect. It says the computer is offline (except it is not). I hired a professional IT, worked on it for more than 2 hours (disabled the firewall defense, antivirus program and much more) but the problem stays. Would be very grateful for your help. Tina

11 Replies 11

Re: Dropxox installation problems

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Tina Kavsek, I hope you're doing well!

Great job checking your firewall, and antivirus first, since this is what first came to mind as well. 

Now, could you locate your Dropbox icon (it would be on the menu or task bar, next to your WiFi) hover your mouse over it and let me know what the status of the application is? 

Another thing I would like for you to check would be your app's proxy set up. Here is how to check: Locate the Dropbox icon and menu from the system tray, and right-click on the icon. Then click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar, and then select "Preferences" from the Dropbox menu. Select the "Proxies" submenu or tab.

Can you let me know more as to what you find?

Let me know, and we'll take it from there!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tina Kavsek
Explorer | Level 3

Hej, Lori,

the status is: Connecting...

The proxy set up is: No proxy (we've already changed that from Auto-detect).

Really hope you can help me.

Regards, Tina

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Tina Kavsek, thanks for letting me know more!

Incorrect date and time on your computer could also prevent Dropbox from getting a secure connection, please make sure this is not the case before checking anything else. If your date and time are correct please check other security applications.

Are you able to access the Website as you would normally do? 

I'd also suggest an Advanced re-install as shown here, which should resolve the issue you mention.

Let me know more on the outcome!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tina Kavsek
Explorer | Level 3

Hey, Lori,

thank you for your effort. It's a tough one. So ...

1. I checked the time in the system - everything OK.

2. Went through other security applications. In my case, Dropbox says the computer is offline/cannot establish the connection (exact phrase: Your computer is currently offline. Please check your network settings.). Went through my firewall settings again, included the Dropbox ports, enabled the application in the antivirus program.

3. I can access Dropbox website normally (I am using it now regularly).

4. Did the advanced re-install step by step. Still the same problem. May I add that the uninstallation took quite a long time (5 minutes at least).

Getting quite frustrated.

Where can the problem lie?

Thank you. Tina

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Tina Kavsek, let's try one more thing together!

Can you temporarily disable any antivirus and firewalls, and then try to install the app, using the offline installer of our latest, stable version? 

I appreciate your patience, and if the steps above don't work, let me know.

Cheers.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Tina Kavsek
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Lori,

did that and still does not work.  It says connecting and then: Your computer is offline. Please check your network settings.

Thank you. Tina

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Tina Kavsek, thanks for trying this! 

Can you send me a screenshot of the message you see on your end? (Make sure none of your personal info is visible). 

Thank you, Tina!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Tina Kavsek
Explorer | Level 3

@Lori, of course.

Here it is.Dropbox.png

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Tina Kavsek, thank you so much for the screenshot! 

Is it okay with you if I send you an email, so we can look closer on how to resolve this issue? 

Let me know!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Tina Kavsek Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?