cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dual booting with shared DB drive possible?

Dual booting with shared DB drive possible?

David C.118
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am looking in to buying a new laptop and will need to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu.  I am planning three SSD's - one for Windows, one for Ubuntu and one as a shared data drive.

Is it possible to set up DB so that both operating systems can sync to the shared data drive?  I have done a bit of research on here and I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks!

28 Replies 28

chasDSO
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

'..There is no common format that is supported on each operating system....'

That post doesn't make sense. You don't need compat formats on the drive system. Dropbox should just be copying down folders and files to the file system irrespective of what format. Any of those will support the same files - for instance, you can dload .docx or linux text files just fine to any format - disk format is irrelevent.

There is no technology reason why Dropbox decided to end support for this option - they supported it in the past I believe but functionality was removed.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @chasDSO,

Yes, You are absolutely right! I don't know (and not just me) why Dropbox set this limitation. My work is just workaround the limitation. :slight_smile:

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@chasDSO wrote:

'..There is no common format that is supported on each operating system....'

That post doesn't make sense.

In terms of Dropbox, yes, it does. Dropbox does not support NTFS for Linux, anything other than NTFS for Windows, etc. Are there workarounds? Yes, apparently, but that doesn't make my comment invalid. In reference to Dropbox and how it works, there is no common format that will allow the official Dropbox client to work across mutliple operating systems. I'm not talking hacks or workarounds. I'm not talking about Linux being able to access NTFS. I'm talking naitive Dropbox support of the file system.

Regardless, I removed that last post of mine since

There is no technology reason why Dropbox decided to end support for this option - they supported it in the past I believe but functionality was removed.

No one ever said there was a technology reason for it. No one is debating that. Dropbox simply doesn't support it anymore. Technically they never officially supported it, but it worked.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

No one ever said there was a technology reason for it. No one is debating that. Dropbox simply doesn't support it anymore. Technically they never officially supported it, but it worked.

Almost, but not exactly! In fact You are right, there wasn't (and is not) any technology. Dropbox (or any other such service) don't need to support this. This is OS responsibility! And, in this context, it's not clear why was this limitation added (not support missing)! Support is not need.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Здравко wrote:

Support is not need.

You're confusing support from a technology standpoint (Product A working with Product B) and support from a business standpoint (Company A saying "No, we don't allow that.").

Dropbox never officially supported Dropbox being used in such a configuration. They didn't design it to work like that, and if a person wasn't careful they could cause damage to their files or possibly lose data (like by using Selective Sync in such a configuration). I'm guessing that's the reason Dropbox no longer supports their product being used in such a way. They could simply be trying to make it more idiot-proof, like they've been trying to do for years.

QA
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am just trying out your workaround. I hope it works for the computer has been syncronizing for an hour and not yet done. I had 60 GB of data and want to access them from a dual boot Windows-Windows computer. Nevertheless your idea deserved a try. Thanks !

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@QA wrote:

... want to access them from a dual boot Windows-Windows computer. ...

Hi @QA,

Please note that the above script work and is tested on Linux only. Probably, might be usable also on Mac with some adaptations. There is no any chance to be used directly on Windows! Windows API is completely different and only partially compatible with POSIX (the standard functions used in the C code). Also 'bash' script interpreter is usually not available on Windows, if not explicitly installed.

Unfortunately, this solution couldn't be usable for you. :disappointed_relieved: But you can get out the idea and port it. :wink:

QA
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I was replying to Rich's post dated 04-11-2018 08:40 PM about the issue of Dropbox not allowing dual booting with the SAME operating system, namely Windows. His workaround implying renaming the Dropbox folder to cheat the Dropbox desktop application. It worked for me with only reporting "Conflicting Copies" in some (a couple hundreds) Excel files between the two Windows 7 operating systems. But apparently it is working. Thanks QA

sharky_pi
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Similar position to Chas & Blackbat: if I

1. Install dropbox to an ext4 linux partition,
  2. Boot into windows, access a dropbox-folder file using ext4fsd, edit it, save it,
  3. Boot back into linux

How will dropbox cope/deal with the changed file?

A. Complete reindex (I have ~14gb FWIW)

B. Diff check against logs, finds single file change, indexes, uploads

C. Something else?

Cheers!

Need more support?