cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating folder names

Duplicating folder names

Dan P.1
New member | Level 1

I'm new to dropbox today. I got set up and started uploading all my photos on my harddrive. This was going well for quite a few hours. But then I made the mistake of renaming the main folder on the dropbox website and now the whole thing has gone mad. All my sub folders have started duplicating so they are showing as May 2014 photo (1) and May photo (2) etc. Help!

5 Replies 5

Re: Duplicating folder names

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

You are experiencing a dual direction syncing conflict.

This is because folders technically dont exist in the DB cloud, just filenames that include the foldername.
So when a folder via web is renamed each file in it gets its path part of the filename changed, and a new local folder and files are generated to match, and the old files removed.

Your problem is the old folder has other files still going up, so you end up with the old folder name reappearing on the web and the new folder name appearing locally.

Solution : in the old folder name on the LOCAL machine, MOVE all files to the NEW folder, then await sync, then clean up any old folder names left over.

If you end up with (x) at the end that you dont want do the following.
1. Pause local syncing
2. rename via web the foldername
3 rename locally the foldername to match
4. resume local syncing, and await the resync process (which will say its uploading and download, but isnt)

Dan P.1
New member | Level 1

Dave , thanks very much for your answer which has identified the issue exactly. However, I'm not sure how easy it will be to undo in the way you suggest because after I'd made the initial mistake of renaming I tried to reverse it by renaming it back and moving the stuff that was still going up to the OLD file on the web across. As a resut I fear I made even more of a mess of it and so I'm asking support to undo the account back to before the first renaming. Do you think that will work?

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Not really, the account did not contain all the files before you started renaming the folders, so support returning it to an earlier state will just cause one of two things to happen, (1) your left with ONLY the files before hand, (2) the other folders then also sync up and you still have the mess.

I would suggest, taking all the files that are messed up, and removing the lot from dropbox, and then building the structure you want and moving the messed up files into it in a constructive way, and then once all good, move that whole structure into dropbox.

FYI: DB use a dedeplication of data protocol for uploading, any files that have been in your dropbox before, when put in again, go up in 1% of the traffic, using maybe 5% of the time.

Richard M.76
New member | Level 1

Why is it this hard to rename folders/files? I'm so frustrated with Dropbox doing this same thing for my work group. I've spent more time researching how to fix Dropbox problems than using it.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Its not hard to rename a folder or file, its hard to sync that to multiple locations when those other locations are trying to sync whats being changed there to you at the same time.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Richard M.76 New member | Level 1
    Dan P.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?