cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Excel files I've uploaded

Editing Excel files I've uploaded

Shannadu
Explorer | Level 4

Let me preface this with the fact that i's been a while since I utilized DB, and there have been a number of changes, so this could be the issue and I'm just not figuring it out. 

I've uploaded excel files into my Dropbox account, and I cannot edit any of them. What am I doing wrong? I don't even know where to begin to figure this out. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Editing Excel files I've uploaded

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Shannadu!

It looks like you're just previewing the file through the website, which explains why you can't edit the file.

You should see an "Open with" button in the top right corner from the preview (or next to the file name before clicking it), where you can choose to open it with Microsoft Excel Online.

You'll need to open the file with one of the integrations listed in the "Open with" menu to be able to edit them.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Shannadu, I'd be more than happy to help you out with this!

The first thing I'd like to ask you is where would you like to edit your files from? From your local Dropbox folder (via the desktop app), through the website, or the mobile app?

Can you also let me know more about the issue you're having when trying to edit your files? Please send me a screenshot of any errors you're getting.

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Shannadu
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. Thanks for responding. I'm typically using the website. When I try to type in a cell, I only get that little pop up, telling me the cell I'm in. I've made sure I have editing abilities in this shared folder, so I'm thinking it must be PEBKAC, but I sure can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. DB edit issue.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Shannadu!

It looks like you're just previewing the file through the website, which explains why you can't edit the file.

You should see an "Open with" button in the top right corner from the preview (or next to the file name before clicking it), where you can choose to open it with Microsoft Excel Online.

You'll need to open the file with one of the integrations listed in the "Open with" menu to be able to edit them.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Shannadu
Explorer | Level 4

I actually found that after my last response, but wasn't sure if that was really the issue, but again, it's been years since I used DB to its fullest extent, and I don't believe we had to do that way back in the early days, so thank you for confirming what I suspected was the case. Have a great day!

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @Shannadu!

If you'd like to skip the preview and be able to click the file to open it in the correct app for editing, then you can try the following.

Go to your "Connected apps" in your account settings from hereUnder "Default editing apps", change "Open with" to the editing app instead (Excel Online in this case).

If you need anything else don't hesitate to get back to me here, I'd be more than happy to help. :grin:

Have a great day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Shannadu Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?