cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emojis in Text Editor

Emojis in Text Editor

andrewbrown
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there, Dropbox seems to have undergone an upgrade recently. which has affected the performance of the text editor. Whilst the new layout perhaps has a nicer font, it is unable to work with emojis, unlike the previous version. Was this a deliberate decision, or just something which was unintended? Many thanks, Andrew

7 Replies 7

Re: Emojis in Text Editor

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @andrewbrown; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Can you please clarify if you're referring to the desktop application, the website or maybe the mobile app?

If you could also post a screenshot so I can have a visual too, I'd appreciate it, Andrew. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

andrewbrown
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter, thank you for the welcome and the reply! Looks like the problem is specifically with the mobile version (I'm an Android user). The text file on the left is from my PC. which opens in notepad, and can use the emoji. When you open the mobile version, this is what you see...

Many thanks, Andrew

Dropbox.jpg

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the quick follow up Andrew!

This seems like an issue with this specific emoji and the way your Android device supports it.  Can you check if this happens with other emoticons as well? 

While we're at it, I couldn't help but notice that you're using UTF-8 on your Notepad on your computer. Can you try using Unicode instead? It might help in this case so you might want to give it a go. 

In any case, please keep me posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

andrewbrown
Explorer | Level 4

I can see UTF-8 on the bottom of the Notepad, but i have no idea what it is. Is it to do with kickboxing thing?

I've put a selection of emojis on this file. The android version has interpreted them all as Chinese characters?

Many thanks, Andrew

Dropbox2.jpg 

Walter
Dropboxer

Thans for testing this out for me Andrew.

It does sound like a Kickboxing Tournament, to be honest, but UTF-8 and Unicode refer to the way your files -or better yet, the characters from your files- are encoded.

A simple web search on your prefered browser should yield some useful results so please feel free to have a look around the web for more info on this. 

As per changing the encoding variable your Notepad is using, there should be an option to change this value from UTF-8 to Unicode upon saving the text file in question. 

Keep me posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

andrewbrown
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for that. I've done a little research as suggested. The below are the options that I have for encoding in Notepad. Which option do you mean when you refer to "Unicode"?

Many thanks, AndrewDropbox3.jpg

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the visual aid here Andrew; it's most appreciated!

ANSI would be the Unicode option here so I'd go with that if I were in your shoes. 

Keep me in the loop!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    andrewbrown Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?