cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty folder deletion?

Empty folder deletion?

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How do you delete an empty folder via the Dropbox website?  I've logged into the website and deleted all the files in the folder.  However, I can't find any option to delete that folder.  I don't believe the folder is being shared because if I hover over the folder with my mouse, I see the Share button.  Why isn't this easier to do?  This is a very basic function.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The web interface is the same regardless of Operating System.

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Robert F.41 wrote:

How do you delete an empty folder via the Dropbox website?

You simply select (or right-click) the folder and click Delete.

Robert F.41 wrote:

Why isn't this easier to do?  This is a very basic function.

It's actually very easy. What happens when you try?

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Rich, but I don't get those options when I right-click on a folder.  All I get are "Upload...", "New Folder", "Share a Folder...", and "Show Deleted Files".  There's no option to delete the folder.  I'm logging in to dropbox.com via Chrome browser for Mac.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Robert F.41 wrote:

All I get are "Upload...", "New Folder", "Share a Folder...", and "Show Deleted Files".

You're likely not right-clicking on the folder, but the whitespace around it. See examples below.

Right-clicking the folderRight-clicking the folder

Right-clicking the whitespaceRight-clicking the whitespace

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for sticking with me on resolving this problem but I am right-clicking directly on the folder icon, not on any whitespace around it.  I tried to attach a screenshot by clicking on the "camera" (insert/edit image) icon but the popup window doesn't allow you to upload an image so that I can show you.  I'm really stuck.

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Rich, are you on Windows?  The screenshot you provided doesn't look at all like what I see on my Mac.  Maybe that's the problem, that the UI works differently on Windows than on a Mac.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The web interface is the same regardless of Operating System.

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Sure. I have a screenshot but this UI won't allow me to upload a file. Can you suggest a website I can upload it to that will create a temporary URL that I can post here? Thanks!

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Rich, I just discovered the problem which is that you _don't_ want to right-click _directly_ on the folder to bring up the menu you described. You have to right-click anywhere on the horizontal bar that contains the folder _except_on_the_folder_itself_. When you RC directly on the folder, you get the menu I've been describing. Yeesh.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Robert F.41 wrote:
Rich, I just discovered the problem which is that you _don't_ want to right-click _directly_ on the folder to bring up the menu you described. You have to right-click anywhere on the horizontal bar that contains the folder _except_on_the_folder_itself_. When you RC directly on the folder, you get the menu I've been describing. Yeesh.

Sort of, but not exactly. If you right-click on the folder icon without the row being selected, you won't get the Download option. If the row is selected, you will. (Note, when I referred to the white-space earlier, I was not referring to the row, but the space above and below it.) Right-clicking the row anywhere will select it and give the Download option at the same time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rafiii New member | Level 2
    kiteo New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Robert F.41 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?