cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty folder deletion?

Empty folder deletion?

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 5

How do you delete an empty folder via the Dropbox website?  I've logged into the website and deleted all the files in the folder.  However, I can't find any option to delete that folder.  I don't believe the folder is being shared because if I hover over the folder with my mouse, I see the Share button.  Why isn't this easier to do?  This is a very basic function.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Empty folder deletion?

Mark
Super User II
The web interface is the same regardless of Operating System.

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

Robert F.41 wrote:

How do you delete an empty folder via the Dropbox website?

You simply select (or right-click) the folder and click Delete.

Robert F.41 wrote:

Why isn't this easier to do?  This is a very basic function.

It's actually very easy. What happens when you try?

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Rich, but I don't get those options when I right-click on a folder.  All I get are "Upload...", "New Folder", "Share a Folder...", and "Show Deleted Files".  There's no option to delete the folder.  I'm logging in to dropbox.com via Chrome browser for Mac.

Rich
Super User II

Robert F.41 wrote:

All I get are "Upload...", "New Folder", "Share a Folder...", and "Show Deleted Files".

You're likely not right-clicking on the folder, but the whitespace around it. See examples below.

Right-clicking the folderRight-clicking the folder

Right-clicking the whitespaceRight-clicking the whitespace

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for sticking with me on resolving this problem but I am right-clicking directly on the folder icon, not on any whitespace around it.  I tried to attach a screenshot by clicking on the "camera" (insert/edit image) icon but the popup window doesn't allow you to upload an image so that I can show you.  I'm really stuck.

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 5

Rich, are you on Windows?  The screenshot you provided doesn't look at all like what I see on my Mac.  Maybe that's the problem, that the UI works differently on Windows than on a Mac.

Mark
Super User II
The web interface is the same regardless of Operating System.

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 5
Sure. I have a screenshot but this UI won't allow me to upload a file. Can you suggest a website I can upload it to that will create a temporary URL that I can post here? Thanks!

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 5
Rich, I just discovered the problem which is that you _don't_ want to right-click _directly_ on the folder to bring up the menu you described. You have to right-click anywhere on the horizontal bar that contains the folder _except_on_the_folder_itself_. When you RC directly on the folder, you get the menu I've been describing. Yeesh.

Rich
Super User II

Robert F.41 wrote:
Rich, I just discovered the problem which is that you _don't_ want to right-click _directly_ on the folder to bring up the menu you described. You have to right-click anywhere on the horizontal bar that contains the folder _except_on_the_folder_itself_. When you RC directly on the folder, you get the menu I've been describing. Yeesh.

Sort of, but not exactly. If you right-click on the folder icon without the row being selected, you won't get the Download option. If the row is selected, you will. (Note, when I referred to the white-space earlier, I was not referring to the row, but the space above and below it.) Right-clicking the row anywhere will select it and give the Download option at the same time.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rafiii New member | Level 2
    kiteo New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Robert F.41 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?