cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty folder deletion?

Empty folder deletion?

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How do you delete an empty folder via the Dropbox website?  I've logged into the website and deleted all the files in the folder.  However, I can't find any option to delete that folder.  I don't believe the folder is being shared because if I hover over the folder with my mouse, I see the Share button.  Why isn't this easier to do?  This is a very basic function.

12 Replies 12

kiteo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem Rich brought up in October, and it doesn't appear the matter was resolved.  So here we go again....

I have deleted the contents of several folders and now wish to delete the folders, too. I right click on the white space to the right of the folder and select Delete and the folder is gone (you removed XXX from dropbox), only to have it reappear in a second or two (you have added XXX to dropbox).  Sometimes I'm fortunate enough to also select permanently delete, but the folder still reappears.  

I've even tried moving the folder(s) back to my documents to delete them, but I apparently a copy of the folder remains in the dropbox, so the problem remains.

kiteo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I solved my problem. I just changed the names of the empty folders and was then able to delete them.

rafiii
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Found this thread with no answer after the pointless search at dropbox help center.  Seemed like an easy question... How to delete an empty folder.  I clicked every link on the help -- what a waste of time.   

Through sheer frustration I began clicking everything on web interface page (using Firefox on Windows 7; not that it matters) A wasted hour later, dumb luck brought me to the fix below.

Make sure to UNCHECK the box at the left of the folder name.  That brings up the elipsis at the end of folder name.  LEFT CLICK on the elipsis and the menu opens.  Select Delete and confirm when asked.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rafiii New member | Level 2
    kiteo New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Robert F.41 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?