cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Smart Sync hangs, beach balls

Enabling Smart Sync hangs, beach balls

Dan P.30
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to enable Smart Sync on my wife's dropbox account and computer. Every time I click "enable" I'm given a dialogue that says, "To use Smart Syn, you'll need to allow a system extension from Dropbox. First click Continue, and then click OK on the alert that appears."

Nothing ever happens when clicked. It just beach balls inexorably. If I go to Security & Privacy, Dropbox is already checked in "Accessibility". If I look in Extensions, the Dropbox Finder Extension is already checked. I just uninstalled all of Dropbox and restarted then re-installed with the same results.

Dropbox version 95.4.441

MacBook 12" Retina 2017, Mojave 10.14.3

11 Replies 11

Re: Enabling Smart Sync hangs, beach balls

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Dan P.30, thanks for reaching out to us, and sorry to hear that you're having trouble enabling Smart Sync. 

At first, could you check this article which proposes some steps to troubleshooting such issues? 

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dan P.30
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

The first graphic in that doc is the one I see, but I'm never told that an extension is blocked, and as I described in my initial post, the extension is present and checked. In Security and Privacy, the Dropbox entry for Accessibility is also checked. At no time did I have to tell the Security pref panel to allow something it didn't recognize to be installed (as is customary in the last few versions of MacOS).

Nothing else in that doc seems to apply, as I'm not keen on opting out of the extension—my purpose is to use the extension to allow Smart Sync to operate.

I click continue, which should cause something other than hanging but that never happens. The beach balling begins almost immediately after clicking continue.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @Dan P.30

Could you also clarify if you've checked that the Dropbox desktop app has it's box ticked under Full Disk Access from your Privacy settings in your System Preferences (you will need to click the locked padlock at the bottom of the window to put a tick in the box)?

Additionally, could you let me know if you installed the desktop app with admin proiviledges by any chance?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dan P.30
Explorer | Level 4

Okay, so yes, Admin priv. is confirmed.

I had to add Dropbox to the Full Disk Access manually, but was able to do so successfully.

Restarted and tried to enable Smart Sync, no dice.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that out for me, @Dan P.30!

Hmm. :thinking: Out of curiosity, is the Dropbox system extension enabled on the account from the website? You can find it at the very bottom of the General tab

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Dan P.30
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your patience. It was indeed enabled and the "Smart Sync update" is not enabled.

Dan P.30
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your patience. It was indeed enabled on the web site, and the "Smart Sync update" was not enabled.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Sorry for the late reply, @Dan P.30

Just to make sure that there isn't something blocking the desktop app from running accordingly, could you try:

• Quitting the desktop app.
  • Temporarily closing any other open apps and security software (including antivirus).
  • Relaunching the desktop app.

Let me know of any updates - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Dan P.30
Explorer | Level 4

Nothing you mentioned has any effect. Not running anti-virus sw either.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?