cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling smart sync results in .modd files being created

Enabling smart sync results in .modd files being created

Loekarin
New member | Level 2

1) I have recently enabled smart sync, amongst others for my photos. Since I have done so, I see many MODD files in my Dropbox, for instance when I go to Dropbox in Windows Explorer. The files are named xxxx.jpg.modd.
Seeing a long list of MODD files appear in folders, where they have never been before, is a bit irritating. But mostly it makes me wonder what they are doing there?
Why are these modd files suddenly created? And will they stay or do they go away after some time, or when I change folder settings to local only?

Device: Dell laptop

At first I emailed this question to Dropbox support. I got an answer, that I post below:

2) Please note that .modd file extension, is related to a Sony Video Analysis file, created by some Sony camcorders.

You can find more information by searching the .modd files extension though any web search engine.

I’d also suggest searching in the Dropbox Community: https://www.dropboxforum.com 

3) In response to this, I post my question/problem now in the Dropbox community. I also searched the Dropbox Community ['modd files'], but couldn't find any results.

4) My answer to Dropbox support:

The thing is, that I don't have a Sony camcorder. And I also don't have/use Sony Video Analysis. 
Moreover, these modd files suddenly appeared right after I set folder settings for Dropbox to 'online only'.
That was the only thing that I changed, and as a result I see a lot of .modd files.
So to me it seems that this really has something to do with Dropbox and/or Dropbox settings.

Because I think it has something to do with Dropbox and/or making Dropbox work in the right way, I don't dare to delete these files.

Can I delete these files without causing a problem?

And then it still is strange that they appeared 'out of the blue', after changing Dropbox settings...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Enabling smart sync results in .modd files being created

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Loekarin, thanks for checking in with us - welcome aboard!

I had a quick look on the web and, as @Rich also mentions, it does look like the .modd file extension is associated with a third party app. 

In general, changing the sync status of files wouldn't alter the file extension, however, I'd recommend continuing this investigation via ticket due to account-specific info needed.

As such, I've made sure to pass your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this for you, and they'll get back to you as soon as they have more info on this. 

Finally, I just wanted to mention that even if you accidentally delete something, don't worry, you can follow these steps to try and recover it. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

It has nothing to do with Dropbox. MODD files are not used or created by Dropbox. Something else on your computer or another device linked to your account has created the files.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Loekarin, thanks for checking in with us - welcome aboard!

I had a quick look on the web and, as @Rich also mentions, it does look like the .modd file extension is associated with a third party app. 

In general, changing the sync status of files wouldn't alter the file extension, however, I'd recommend continuing this investigation via ticket due to account-specific info needed.

As such, I've made sure to pass your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this for you, and they'll get back to you as soon as they have more info on this. 

Finally, I just wanted to mention that even if you accidentally delete something, don't worry, you can follow these steps to try and recover it. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Loekarin
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

update: I emailed with somebody from Support, which helped me further.

Now I believe the 'problem' was not caused by Dropbox. For some reason I suddenly noticed these files, without having noticed them before.
And because of the file name xxx.jpg.modd it really made me wonder what these files are and what they are doing there.
But now I have a clue. 
To be honest, although I said I don't have a Sony camcorder, I now realised I do. I have a Sony photocamera, that can also make videos. I hadn't made the connection, but now I think these files were created by my camera.

Loekarin
New member | Level 2

The topic can be marked as resolved, also thanks to the help of Dropbox Support, which reminded me to check file version history.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Glad to hear that, @Loekarin

If anything else pops up in the future, don't hesitate to give us a shout. 

In the meantime, have a lovely weekend ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?