cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

Nathan H.1
New member | Level 1

Add another voice of concern here.

Dropbox is one of my favorite tools, and the fact that it can sync my Macbook Pro, Power Mac G5, Windows 7 PC, and various iOS devices is huge. To drop even the G5 will force me to look at other options. The website is a really poor option. I rarely use it.

Of course, I know Leopard users are running old computers. It's tough to have to target our machines after all these years. I understand all that, but you are also diminishing some serious value in your sync service by dropping support for some older machines. Hopefully, the Dropbox team can take another look and figure out a work around? Are there other ways of accessing a Dropbox folder (webdav, ftp, etc)? Can we freeze the older version of Dropbox and limit to the most minimal of features? Help us out.

John W.6
New member | Level 1

I've just received 'the e-mail' informing me that on May 18th, my Dropbox client on the PowerPC OSX 10.6.8 will no longer be supported and that I will be signed out on that machine, a 12" PowerBook G4 which has NEVER let me down. It's rock solid - as long as you don't Update the Java.

Can I add my voice to the others here? Dropping support for PowerPC and OSX 10.5.8 is terrible, truly terrible. Is it really necessary? What can justify this move? It works, it ain't broke, don't ditch it!

Jamie B.2
New member | Level 1

I can not up grade above 10.4.11 I work in Protools and it would cost me $16,000 in hardware and software to upgrade. Why can't dropbox leave a version of dropbox for older os . If Dropbox abandons os 10.4 users . We have to abandon dropbox. We have no choice

Todd B.
New member | Level 1

Please don't drop support for PPC. At least support 10.5.8.

Keaton B.
New member | Level 1

Hey. Dropbox. I have about three machines that I use daily that aren't upgradable to 10.6. Why would you pull support for a good chunk of users?

Jamie B.2
New member | Level 1

Knock knock . Anybody home
Sooooo is anybody at dropbox gonna tell us why they are ruining our lives. I've been a paying customer for a long time
I can not up grade above Mac Os 10.4.11 I work in Protools and it would cost me $16,000 in hardware and software to upgrade. Why can't dropbox leave a version of dropbox for older os . If Dropbox abandons os 10.4 users . We have to abandon dropbox. We have no choice. And I'm a paying client

Rich
Super User II

Please stop posting multiple questions. One is more than enough, especially when there are so many other questions exist for the same issue.

Gavin S.
New member | Level 1

Please allow this, I love dropbox dearly and would be extremely happy if I could still use Tiger/Leopard yet sync all my files between all other computers. DB is an amazing service, please don't ruin it!

Richard P.
Super User alumni

10.4.11 came out nearly 8 years ago, if you haven't been planning and properly amortizing for an upgrade then that's not Dropboxes fault.

You are on a heavily out dated system, suck it up. It costs money to support you. You are no longer financially worth supporting.

Tom C.2
New member | Level 1

I work for a small nonprofit. All, yes ALL, of their machines are PPC and therefore not able to run 10.6. If this plan is not changed, we will have to find a solution other than Dropbox (unless you want to buy us half a dozen Intel Macs, of course, and the software to run on them). Fine to drop support -- it's an old system -- but turning them off is ridiculous.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve B.8 New member | Level 1
    Cinefoto.org R. New member | Level 1
    Erik Y. New member | Level 1
    Vanni R. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?