cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of support for windows xp

End of support for windows xp

Andy M.12
New member | Level 2

I received a message saying that dropbox will stop supporting windows xp after August 29th and that the client software that I use to load and download files to/from dropbox will nolonger work.  I use dropbox to share files between an old desktop running xp and a laptop running windows 10.  Ater August 29th will I still be able to share files using the web application dropbox.com?  There is an icon on the webpage that allow me to upload files will this still work with my windows xp pc?

39 Replies 39

Re: End of support for windows xp

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Use of the Dropbox website is not dependent on your OS, it is dependent on your browser being compatible.

If you can access the Dropbox website today, chances are you will be able to access the Dropbox website after August 29th - the caveat being of course if browsers move on in the next few months 🙂

The websites requirements are available here - https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/3

Note that Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Safari are not supported on XP any more, and the version of Internet Explorer that is available on XP falls outside the "two most recent versions" requirement, so you are reliant on Firefox to continue using the website as a supported user (other older versions may work, but are not guaranteed to work).

Andy M.12
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick reponse

Neil M.7
New member | Level 1

I use Dropbox between multiple devices. Android phone, Windows XP, Windows Vista. I have customers who I share files with that use Windows XP. I understand files already created will still be safe in the Dropbox cloud.

My question is:- the files that are created & modified using various applications on a Windows XP OS. Will Dropbox still upload them & download them to other computers which are still using Windows XP OS. It is not a requirement to access Dropbox via the browser. 

Regards Neil

Richard P.
Super User alumni

That depends on how those various applications integrate with Dropbox.

If they use the Dropbox API (or in other words, if you can use them on a computer which does not have a Dropbox client installed), then they will continue to work just fine.

If they use the Dropbox folder on that machine (or in other words, if you can only use those applications with Dropbox specifically when Dropbox is installed on that computer), then they will stop working, because Dropbox is withdrawing the Windows XP client support, which is what does the syncing.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

https://www.dropbox.com/help/9227

"On August 29, 2016, the Dropbox desktop app will no longer support Windows XP. On this date, you will be automatically signed out of any Dropbox accounts linked to a Windows XP computer. You can sign in again once you update to Windows Vista or a later version of Windows. "

Only web page access and your old files on hard drive will be available.

Open clarification Question for Dropboxers: will old versions of DB client work? (I suspect not.)

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Open clarification Question for Dropboxers: will old versions of DB client work? (I suspect not.)

No they won't - the server side API that the Dropbox client talks to (different from the public developer API) will refuse to talk to Dropbox clients installed on Windows XP machines, regardless of how new or how old those clients may be.

That is why Dropbox can do this on a particular day - its driven from the server side, not the client side.  No action is required by the client.

Future clients will simply refuse to install or work on Windows XP.

Neil M.7
New member | Level 1

I looks like the operating systems will need to be updated then.

All our applications are setup so they create & save in the Dropbox folder & sub folders. They then sync with the other computers using the same folder configuration.

Thanks for your reply.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

To remove all doubt, yes that set up will stop working on the 29th of August this year.

Alexis G.1
Super User

XP is a 15 years old OS. Very old. Insecure. Even OneDrive not longer work with XP.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JoGaBar New member | Level 2
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Lukasz O. New member | Level 1
    Agnieszka K.1 New member | Level 2
    Vik A. Not applicable
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?