cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Entering Link Code After Install Ubuntu 18.04

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello All,

Installing Dropbox to a fresh Ubuntu 18.04. Installed and got the prompt that I'd need to log in, redirected to the compnay login page, gave me a code to enter to link the account but there is no where to enter it. The installer never comes back to ask. If I go to the tray icon and choose sign in it opens the web site, gens a code but that's it. No where to enter it.

What did I miss?

Thanks!

28 Replies 28
Highlighted

Re: Entering Link Code After Install Ubuntu 18.04

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, could you clarify what kind of code you’re referring to? Is it possible you’re using single sign on to access Dropbox, or a type of CAPTCHA?

Are you member of a Dropbox Business team? Have you tried contacting your team admin for more information on how to login?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Sorry.. Yes, it's a compnay single sign on. The team here isn't exaclty Linux savy so I am having to look elsewhere.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I understand, keep me posted with any updates!

Jay

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi I'm having the exact same issue. Fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 with single sign on access to Dropbox, redirected to the login page and provided with a link code but no way to go back to the Dropbox installer to enter the code.

Did you find a solution to this yet?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

No solutiopn yet but I am still messing with it

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello All,

For anyone having this issue...

Step 1: Remove dropbox from your system

Step 2: In a web browser go to www.dropbox.com and log in ((DO NOT CLOSE THE BROWSER))

Step 3: In the lower right there are three dots. Click them and choose install.

Step 4: Choose the deb package and download.

Step 5: gdebi <package name>

Step 6: Locate Dropbox in the GUI apps menu and launch

Step 7: A second browser window will open to the already authenticated browser and simply ask if you want to link

Step 7: Launch

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for posting the question and your fix.

Unfortunately, this did not work for me.  (At step 7, instead of bringing up a new tab asking me if I want to link, it just brings up a new window and asks me to log in again.  When I do, it prints out another link code again, just as it was doing before.)  I also tried reinstalling dropbox using many other methods today.  (ie., from the ubuntu software store, typing "apt-get install nautilus-dropbox" into the terminal, before and after adding a custom repository to /etc/apt/sources.list, etc...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking in with us here @jewett_aij_scr; I’ll be following-up on this discussion, so please do let us know of any progress on your end & we’ll take it from there!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

As with others, dropbox was working perfectly in 18.04 when I was using my own paid personal dropbox account.   (It was amazing.  I loved dropbox.)  I only ran into this problem when I attempted to use my employer-provided dropbox account using SSO.  Although my private account was working, I don't think I will renew it.  I'm stuck using linux, and it looks like linux support is still a bit iffy.  If I knew how to report this bug formally, I would.  I hope I don't sound too grumpy.  (I am disappointed.)

(Incidentally, I did try following the instructions using both firefox (noscript disabled) and chrome, but it did not resolve the issue..)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?