cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneous SmartSync notifications

Erroneous SmartSync notifications

JGarnettAU
Explorer | Level 4

Last night I disabled SmartSync by turning off Dropbox System Extension in my Profile Settings. I spend a lot of time offline, or on a metred conneciton and prefer to have my files with me.

The reconnection went fine, and I have been properly downloading everything and doing some long-needed folder maintenance.

However, when I paused the Sync, I started getting SmartSync notifications, a steady procession telling me that Dropbox couldn't download file after file. When I restarted the Sync, I continue to get SmartSync notifications - two for each and every file downloaded - the first telling me that the file is downloading, the second telling me the file has downloaded.

I currently have 131,687 files to sync, making this a very annoying proposition.

As I have disabled SmartSync, firstly, should I be seeing these notifications, and secondly, how do I get rid of them?

PS: I only realised what SmartSync was (and that my files weren't actually downloading) following the latest Dropbox update, which appeared to introduced these notifications.

3 Replies 3

Re: Erroneous SmartSync notifications

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @JGarnettAU, I appreciate your detailed description & taking the time to explain matters for us; I’ll do my best to further advise on this matter! 

To my mind, the best way to get going with that at the moment would be adjusting your Selective Sync settings, so as to reduce the overall client load that should also prevent some of these Notifications from popping-up. From there, it would be worth noting that upon disabling system extensions, you should have received the following message:

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 12.26.27 PM.png

As you mentioned that you paused syncing, can you let me know whether this was right after disabling system extensions or otherwise? If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of the messages you’re seeing; please include it in your next post here if possible. 

Once I have a look at this, I’ll try to focus on that a bit closer. Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

JGarnettAU
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane

Thanks for your reply.

I do understand the consequences of disabling the Dropbox System Extension, and I did receive the notification about SmartSync being disabled. As I have intermittent connection with high-speed internet, I have decided to download everything on Dropbox, and sort through it properly. This will, understandably, take a while, even when I do have access to broadband internet.

Because of the, aforesaid, intermittent internet access, most of the time my firewall profile prevents Dropbox from connecting.

When I boot up without internet, Dropbox continually tries to connect even through my internet is off. I don't have a problem with this, as connectivity is a feature of the service. Should I then either connect to the internet, or connect on first boot, however, and then either pause the Sync, or disconnect from the internet, I receive a barrage of notifications from 'SmartSync Download', multiple per minute, sometimes mentioning one specific file, or successively counting up files: "Failed to download 4 files", "...5 files", "...6...", etc. The highest I have seen it could to was over 100. Screenshots are included below.

These all appear through the Windows Notification area, and not through the Dropbox Notification Sync Issues tab in the icon pop-up area.

The workaround is to disable Dropbox notifications in the Windows System Settings, through the Notifications and Actions Settings page, which I have done.

My concern is that this also disables file upload notifications, and limits the possibility I will see any major issue notification. I also worry about any er Dropbox users who have less familiarity with Windows admin settings.

Screenshot 2019-08-14 21.20.50.png

Screenshot 2019-08-16 17.24.49.png

Jane
Dropboxer
Thank you for the screenshots @JGarnettAU, now I have a clearer picture of what this looks like on your end! 

Now, your last message here makes me think that the Notifications for the download failures are indeed attributed to the interrupted internet access, as the desktop app has been attempting to sync the files from the Dropbox servers without success. Following-up from your initial description however, you had mentioned that you had already reverted your file structure to Local, which shouldn't justify the behavior. Can you confirm whether he latter is happening, just so a to make sure that we're on the same page?

Now I understand that disabling Notifications altogether may not be ideal to you at the moment, however I’m wondering if it’s possible to let your device sync overnight once (or over the weekend if you syncing hasn't completed), so as to get going with a full sync that should be the solution to the issue that’s bothering you with Notifications. 

Please let me know how you get on with that whenever you have a chance & thanks for sticking with me here on this matter! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?