cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 2 when re-installing

Highlighted

Error 2 when re-installing

Explorer | Level 3

Recently, I faced the Error 2 issue. When I opened Kaspersky Internet Security application, I was told to update Dropbox by its software updater. During the updating, my Dropox was disappeared suddenly. I opened Windows 10 Setting>Apps & features and couldn't find Dropbox application there. So that I re-installed Dropbox to the PC, but in vain. I tried to get help from Kaspersky, but their technician failed to install the Dropbox and found a post "Error 2 when installing" from the Community on 02-28-2018 12:11 PM. It was recommended to download/install Dropbox's Newest Stable Build (offline installer). I follow the link to install Dropox but same Error 2 occurred.

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Error 2 when re-installing

Dropboxer

Hey there @PS7010; welcome to our Community!

Can you please let me know the exact OS and build of the affected device? 

Have you tried the most recent version of our desktop app?

Version 110.4.458 just got out a little while ago.

Can you try installing it from this link with no firewalls, antivirus programs or VPN/proxy settings that could be preventing our app from normally connecting to the internet? 

Let me know how it goes.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Windows specifications of my computer as below:

Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise

Version: 2004

OS build: 19041.264

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Presently, my computer has been facing Windows Update problem nearly five months and I haven't tried the most recent version yet.

I shall install the proposed link and let you know the outcome later.

By the way, how can I install with no firewalls, antivirus programs. What step I should take before the installation.

Thank in advance.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @PS7010!

You can just try disabling those programs before running the installer. If you're not sure how to do so, I would suggest doing a quick web search for the specific programs for the steps.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I turned off Kaspersky firewall and AVG anti-virus, then re-install the given link. Unluckily, the reinstallation failed with the same Error 2 issue. Any further solution I may try.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

In that case, could you create a brand new OS profile and try to install our desktop app there @PS7010?

Let us know how you get on! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your further advice.

However, I don't know how to create a brand new OS profile. Please highlight me the steps I may take before trying the proposed desktop app.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter / Daphne,

When I read other related Error 2 posts, I notice the following:

"Mind ensuring that there is no record of a Dropbox folder within any of the following locations:
%APPDATA%
%LOCALAPPDATA%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%"

I have to re-check my office computer and ensure that no Dropbox folder remains and re-do the off-line installation.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter / Daphne,

When I searched Dropbox folder within %APPDATA% and %LOCALAPPDATA% in my office PC, I found the Dropbox folders and then removed them at once. 

I turned off Kaspersky firewall and AVG anti-virus, then re-install the Version 110.4.458. Unluckily, the reinstallation failed again with the same Error 2 issue. 

By the way, please advise how to create a brand new OS profile for trying to install Dropbox desktop app there.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for all the updates @PS7010; much appreciated!

You can find out how to create a new OS profile on your machine, here

Let us know if it works there!

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?