cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 405 on iPad accessing the Dropbox site via iOS 9.3.5

Error 405 on iPad accessing the Dropbox site via iOS 9.3.5

geemacmcm
Explorer | Level 3

I have an old ipad that can only run ios 9.3.5 and it had the dropbox app that worked fine until recently.  I got the red message about updating to app, which it cannot do because of the old IOS.  There is another post https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Previous-versions-of-DropBox-for-IPAD-2-runnin...  on the forum about reinstating an older version of dropbox which I followed, but was never given the option to install the older version.  This was despite deleting the cloud dropbox backup and restarting the ipad.

So my next option was to access the web from the ipad, here too I have hit a brick wall. When I go to dropdox I get this page:-

I can only seem to get to a login page by clicking on the Learn more option on the Cookies banner and then selecting some other links.  I then get to this page:-

Entering my username and password, (that I successfully use on my Mac) gives me Error 405:

IMG_1163.PNGIMG_1161.PNGIMG_1162.PNG

So I am unable to access my Dropbox basic account and continue to work on my files and those shared by others, in this ipad.

Help please, either to reinstate the older app, or access the web directly from this ipad.

EDIT: Also tried clearing the cache, using different browsers and using an ingocnito tab.  Still no good. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Error 405 on iPad accessing dropbox web

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @geemacmcm, thanks for posting on the Community!

If you’re running the older version of iOS, then it wouldn’t be possible to install the new Dropbox mobile app, as you’ve discovered. It wouldn’t be possible to reinstate the older version of the app, unfortunately.

In relation to the Dropbox site, it would only work on the latest version of the browser in question. Since you’re running an older iOS version, most likely it isn’t able to update to the newest version of Chrome. Safari is linked to iOS, so it can’t be updated directly.

I’m sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

geemacmcm
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your prompt reply, but I dont find this helpful.

You seem to contradict the advice given in the other post, that I referenced in my original post, that an older version can be downloaded.

It is unbelievable that you cannot do this to maintain functionality with users who don't want to get the latest kit, and basically throw away a perfectly good ipad!  Surely this should be possible.

Jay
Dropboxer

Some of the information in that thread is over a year old, and since then the requirements for the iOS app would have changed.

Now, because you can’t download an older version of the app, this would mean that any version of the Dropbox app on iOS 9.3.5 wouldn’t be able to login to the site and work as normal.

There wouldn’t be a workaround for this, and it wouldn’t be possible to re-enable the older apps on older devices and OSes.

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?