cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 500 when trying to open in word for the web

Error 500 when trying to open in word for the web

SCrumpacker
Explorer | Level 3

I used to be able to do this just fine but for the last week I haven't been able to open my documents in word for web, which I need to do for class. When I try a message pops up saying :

Error (500)

Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropboxers have been notified. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

I tried finding solutions on google, including clearing my cookies, restarting my computer, cleaning my coputer drive, etc. and nothing has worked. I've seen articles saying that this might be an issue on Dropbox's end, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

6 Replies 6

Re: Error 500 when trying to open in word for the web

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @SCrumpacker, thanks for messaging today!

Just to be certain this isn't related to your browser specifically, could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? 

Otherwise, you can try using incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, and even resetting your browser entirely. 

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SCrumpacker
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I've tried using 4 different browsers (chrome, firefox, internet explorer, and microsoft edge) and none of them worked. Incognito/Private browsing didn't allow me to view it either, nor resetting my browser or my computer. I'm still having the same issue.

Jay
Dropboxer

Does the file have a password on it? Are you on a company network, or have some form of restriction on the machine that might prevent the Office site from loading?

This could be a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SCrumpacker
Explorer | Level 3

No password or restrictions. I've tried it on my school's internet and on my own home internet and I still can't open it either way. I was able to open it at both locations just a few weeks ago and on my end there hasn't been any changes that I'm aware of since then, besides suddenly not being able to open it.

Walter
Dropboxer

Could you change the relevant setting in your account's Defaults Apps tab and let us know if it improved matters at all @SCrumpacker

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SCrumpacker
Explorer | Level 3

No, sorry, that still didn't help.

I made a new account with a different email, and I was able to access it through that account.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SCrumpacker Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?