cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Connection Timed out

Error Connection Timed out

GrandDuc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

All the Windows PCs on my network this morning, regardless of version of Windows receive an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT when trying to access www.dropbox.com. The OSX machines are fine. All receive IP (Address, DNS) info from DHCP server, all use same firewall that has no rules blocking outbound connections. I tried using Google DNS servers, same result. Does not seem to be a DNS issue as a ping to Dropbox from those PCs return the IP address correctly.
It is obviously something on my network, but why only the Windows machines?

34 Replies 34

GrandDuc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Arky-Ark  a écrit :

@GrandDuc I am also expriencing issues connecting to dropbox. On both browser or the desktop client on windows 10. I am also on Fibrenoire. I have no issue what so ever if i connect through my iphone hotspot (Bell Network). I also hardcode myself to my backup link bypassing fibrenoire network (also on Bell network) and i can connect successfully. Have you opened a ticket with fibrenoire to check if they had anything going on with their routing or other network issue?

Yes, I had a ticket open with them yesterday, they found nothing on their network. When it seemed to have returned to normal late in the afternoon I closed that ticket, but the return of service was temporary at best.

I suspect it has more to do with the network path to DropBox infrastructure and the routers/firewall I am hitting via FibreNoire. My Windows machine at home on Videotron works fine, I tested yesterday. 

Arky-Ark
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@GrandDuc wrote:

@Arky-Ark  a écrit :

@GrandDuc I am also expriencing issues connecting to dropbox. On both browser or the desktop client on windows 10. I am also on Fibrenoire. I have no issue what so ever if i connect through my iphone hotspot (Bell Network). I also hardcode myself to my backup link bypassing fibrenoire network (also on Bell network) and i can connect successfully. Have you opened a ticket with fibrenoire to check if they had anything going on with their routing or other network issue?

Yes, I had a ticket open with them yesterday, they found nothing on their network. When it seemed to have returned to normal late in the afternoon I closed that ticket, but the return of service was temporary at best.

I suspect it has more to do with the network path to DropBox infrastructure and the routers/firewall I am hitting via FibreNoire. My Windows machine at home on Videotron works fine, I tested yesterday. 

Well, i will also open a ticket with them. It might trigger more investigation if multiple customers have the same issue. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @sb10 and @Arky-Ark, thanks for checking in with us here!

I’ve made sure to follow up with a ticket to your respective email addresses connected to your Community profiles, so please don’t hesitate to reply to my latest message that you find in your inbox. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks again! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jberger1990
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm responding in this thread since it seems to be a common issue.

For the record, I am working on a PC, and perhaps not coincidentally live in Canada. Our ISP is (I believe) Rogers.

Myself and one of my coworkers use Dropbox extensively in our work tasks. However today/yesterday there has been some kind of syncing issue, similar to if not exactly identical to the issues described previously in this thread. I cannot download items even though I can see them both in Chrome and through Windows Explorer.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jberger1990, sorry to hear that you’re experiencing a similar behavior. 

I’ve contacted you directly to the email address connected to your Community account so that we can further investigate. Please check your inbox and we’ll take it from there. 

Thank you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Data-SoilOptix
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just an update on my end, one of our users was able to stay connected for an hour or two yesterday but as of this morning all of us are out of comission. I have tried several DNSs including 8.8.4.4 and 1.1.1.1 to no avail. Has anyone had any luck finding a solution on this?

GrandDuc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Data-SoilOptix  a écrit :

Just an update on my end, one of our users was able to stay connected for an hour or two yesterday but as of this morning all of us are out of comission. I have tried several DNSs including 8.8.4.4 and 1.1.1.1 to no avail. Has anyone had any luck finding a solution on this?

Same here, and I don't think its a DNS issue. No matter what DNS server I use, the DNS response is OK, but the browser connection times out

GrandDuc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Apparently Dropbox engineers are aware of the problem and are working on the solution

gmurad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for this update! This is very problematic for us as well

Data-SoilOptix
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The issue appears to have been resolved for us at this time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    ITech5401 New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    GrandDuc Explorer | Level 4
    sb10 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?