Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Error Message: "Couldn't start DropBox" (Mac OSX 10.13.2)

Helpful | Level 6

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro with OSX 10.13.2 High Sierra. I installed Dropbox on my new MacBook when I ran a data transfer from my old MacBook. I was able to open DropBox on my new MacBook, but it was not syncing. I unlinked both the new MacBook and the old MacBook. Then, I uninstalled DropBox from the new MacBook and re-installed it with the Standard Installer for Mac. After I reinstalled it, I was unable to open the DropBox app. I got the following request:

Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/xxxxxxxxx 1/.dropbox

When I entered my password to allow this, I got the following error message:

Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permission error...

I have McAfee LiveSafe installed on my Mac. I made sure all of the McAfee features were turned off, then I uninstalled DropBox and reinstalled Version 40.4.46. Again, I was unable to open DropBox. I got the same request to change permissions and the same error message as above.

How can I solve this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Error Message: "Couldn't start DropBox" (Mac OSX 10.13.2)

Helpful | Level 6

I solved the problem by reinstalling the DropBox app with the offline installer. The log in window opened. I logged in, and the app synced. I have had no problem with it since. Below is the full text of the error message that I kept receiving before solving the problem. I have Xed out my user name and full name.

"bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox"
"bn.VERSION: 40.4.46"
"bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed bn.is_frozen: True machine_id: failed"
"pid: 790"
"ppid: 1"
"uid: 502"
"user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_namexxxxxxx, pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='xxxxxx xxxxx', pw_dir='/Users/ xxxxxxxx', pw_shell='/bin/bash')"
"effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='xxxxxxx', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='xxxxxx xxxxx', pw_dir='/Users/xxxxxxxx', pw_shell='/bin/bash')"
"euid: 502"
"gid: 20"
"egid: 20"
"group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'xxxxxxx']) effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'xxxxxxxx'])"
"DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None"
"cwd: u'/'"
"real_path='/'"
"mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0 parent mode=040755 uid=0"
"gid=0 HOME: u'/Users/xxxxxxxx'"
"appdata: u'/Users/xxxxxxxx 1/.dropbox/instance1' real_path=u'/Users/xxxxxxxx 1/.dropbox/instance1'"
"not found parent not found"
"dropbox_path: u'/Users/xxxxxxxx 1/Dropbox'"
"real_path=u'/Users/xxxxxxxx 1/Dropbox' not found"
"parent not found"
"sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox' real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/"
"Dropbox'"
"" "mode=0100755" "uid=502 gid=20"
"parent" "mode=040755" "uid=502 gid=20"
"trace. file : '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-"
"resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/ boot_error.pyc'"
"real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/"
"Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/ common/boot_error.pyc'"
"not found"
"parent not found"
"tempdir: u'/var/folders/sw/03wrnbgx3w16dbnwl0m7gs100000gp/T' real_path=u'/private/var/folders/sw/"
"03wrnbgx3w16dbnwl0m7gs100000gp/T'"
"mode=040700 uid=502 gid=20 parent mode=040755 uid=502 gid=20"
"Traceback (most recent call last):"
"File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 6239, in main_startup File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 2427, in run"
"File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 1458, in startup_low File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 1067, in safe_makedirs File ""os.pyc"", line 150, in makedirs"
"File ""os.pyc"", line 150, in makedirs File ""os.pyc"", line 157, in makedirs"
"o 13] Permission denied: '/Users/xxxxxxxx 1'"

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
When you receive the error, is there a hyperlink that you can click on to see the full error message? If so, can you copy/paste the entire error into your reply? 
Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for your response. After submitting my post, I made several more attempts to open the DropBox app. Finally, it opened. I was able to log in and relink my new MacBook. It synced, and I haven't had any problems with it since. The new MacBook appears as a linked device in my DropBox settings. The DropBox extension has been installed, and DropBox is properly listed as a login item. The DropBox icon appears in my menu bar, and I can also access it in Finder. None of this was happening until I finally managed to login, and then all of these issues resolved themselves.

I am still going to supply you with the full text from that error message (with my user name and full name Xed out). Others users may be experiencing the same problem, and this may help you to assist them. Also, I would be interested to know what caused it.

"user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_namexxxxxxx, pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='xxxxxx xxxxx', pw_dir='/Users/ xxxxxxxx', pw_shell='/bin/bash')"
"effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='xxxxxxx', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='xxxxxx xxxxx', pw_dir='/Users/xxxxxxxx', pw_shell='/bin/bash')"
"group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'xxxxxxx']) effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'xxxxxxxx'])"
"real_path='/'"
"appdata: u'/Users/xxxxxxxx 1/.dropbox/instance1' real_path=u'/Users/xxxxxxxx 1/.dropbox/instance1'"
"parent not found"
"sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox' real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/"
"Dropbox'"
"Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/ common/boot_error.pyc'"
"not found"
"parent not found"
"tempdir: u'/var/folders/sw/03wrnbgx3w16dbnwl0m7gs100000gp/T' real_path=u'/private/var/folders/sw/"
"File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 6239, in main_startup File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 2427, in run"
"File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 1458, in startup_low File ""dropbox/client/main.pyc"", line 1067, in safe_makedirs File ""os.pyc"", line 150, in makedirs"

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I solved the problem by reinstalling the DropBox app with the offline installer. The log in window opened. I logged in, and the app synced. I have had no problem with it since. Below is the full text of the error message that I kept receiving before solving the problem. I have Xed out my user name and full name.

"real_path='/'"
"parent not found"
"Dropbox'"
"not found"
"parent not found"

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again, @mindfulwalker

Thanks for providing the full error message. Indeed, it looks like the issue was that you had two different usernames in the pathways. I can’t be sure, since you’ve X’ed out the name, but it looks like you had some entries that ended with a 1, and others that didn’t. If this occurs again, and you aren’t able to get past it, let me know, or go ahead and submit a support ticket for further assistance. 

Have a great week! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I am having a similar issue with brand new Macbook Pro. Dropbox continues to function on other computers and devices, but not on this new computer. Initially I was unable to delete the menu icon or the app, getting messages saying it was "Open", but after going into Activity Monitor and and Library, I seem to have moved all dropbox related files to the trash. I wanted to ensure all traces of dropbox was removed prior to reinstalling. 

Below is the error text received. Having struck out with Dropbox tech support on my first Chat, and now waiting for a higher level reply, I am hoping someone might be able to steer me down the right path. Dropbox is essential to our daily work life, so I am cripled with this new Mac which I am super bummed about ! :(

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 50.4.71
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 425
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='anastasiaisrael', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='anastasia', pw_dir='/Users/anastasiaisrael', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='anastasiaisrael', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='anastasia', pw_dir='/Users/anastasiaisrael', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: u'/'
real_path='/'
mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: u'/Users/anastasiaisrael'
appdata: u'/Users/anastasiaisrael/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path=u'/Users/anastasiaisrael/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=040700 uid=501 gid=80
parent mode=040700 uid=501 gid=80
dropbox_path: u'/Users/anastasiaisrael/Dropbox'
real_path=u'/Users/anastasiaisrael/Third Power Hos Dropbox/Anastasia Israel/Anastasia Israel'
not found
parent mode=040755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: u'/var/folders/5k/x0n17qfj31d34h6w0vdd83640000gn/T'
real_path=u'/private/var/folders/5k/x0n17qfj31d34h6w0vdd83640000gn/T'
mode=040700 uid=501 gid=20
[get_extra_trace_info failed]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1045, in boot_error
AssertionError

Original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 697, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5453, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5215, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5760, in finish_sync_engine_setup_for_account
File "dropbox/sync_engine_adapter/adapter.pyc", line 1352, in mount_dropbox_folder
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/sync_engine.pyc", line 684, in mount_dropbox_folder
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/sync_engine.pyc", line 752, in _mount_dropbox_folder
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/block_cache.pyc", line 59, in __init__
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/block_cache.pyc", line 71, in _compute_max_size
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/file_system/util.pyc", line 90, in wrapped
File "contextlib.pyc", line 35, in __exit__
File "dropbox/shared/error_util.pyc", line 48, in convert_error
File "dropbox/shared/error_util.pyc", line 35, in convert_error
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/file_system/util.pyc", line 90, in wrapped
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/file_system/pythonos.pyc", line 135, in get_disk_space_info
FileSystemError: [Errno 62] Too many levels of symbolic links: '/Users/anastasiaisrael/Third Power Hos Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/prefetch_cache'

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?