cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove Dropbox from my Mac if I get an error message when attempting to uninstall?

How do I remove Dropbox from my Mac if I get an error message when attempting to uninstall?

Heather G.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am trying to delete the Dropbox app from my Mac, but it gives me an error message saying 'The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its plugins are in use', even after closing all other open applications. What could these plugins be and how can I stop them from being in use?

Thanks

48 Replies 48

Jim W.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rajat - your proposed solution worked perfectly for me. Thanks so much!!!! I'm on a Mac OS X btw

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi everyone!

Thanks Rajat and Piet Hein for your solutions!

Dropbox integrates with Finder in order to help you share files easily or display the sync status on the overlaying icons 🙂

Indeed, in your activity monitor, you should be able to look for every Dropbox instances and Quit/Force Quit them.
If you can't force quit "Dropbox Finder Integration" and you're running Yosemite 10.10.0, you can disable it manually.
Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, then click on the gear icon and go to Preferences.
On the General tab of this preferences panel, you'll be able to untick and disable the integration.

You can read more about this here:https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/finder-integration-yosemite

I hope this helps!

Barney S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having this problem and none of these solutions are helping at all! I'm on a macbook air OS X and I've thrown all of dropbox in the trash, but it won't let me empty it because the item 'dropbox' is apparently still in use. Even though I've removed it from everywhere, it's not open or functioning anywhere that I can find and the activity monitor can't pick up any dropbox activity on my computer at all! So why can't I delete it?

Mark M.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Did you try relaunching Finder? Hold down Option, right click the finder icon, select Relaunch

Jenny J.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I also have the dropbox.app stuck in trash and am unable to find it on the Activity Monitor. Any workaround for this? I have already removed it from application settings, removed its contextual menu, and from the finder toolbar.

Daniel R.30
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The answer from Rajat C. worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

Todd B.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Piet Hein C. Best Answer

Anna B.24
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Rajat G. Thanx! Now it worked 🙂

Jose F.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

In Yosemite open Activity monitor to find Dropbox Finder Integration when you can not quit it. Then  force quit it WITH THE X ON UPPER LEFT CORNER OF THAT WINDOW not with force quit on apple logo, It worked perfectly.

Thanks

Eric B.61
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Used Rajat G.'s method and was able to move dropbox to the trash but not delete. On a hunch I restarted Finder (Option + Right-click Finder in Dock) and was able to delete/uninstall it. Dropbox is synching correctly now (fingers crossed).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Eric S.62 New member | Level 1
    Jim K.9 New member | Level 1
    Andre Z.1 New member | Level 1
    Amel D. New member | Level 1
    Duff W. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?