cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove Dropbox from my Mac if I get an error message when attempting to uninstall?

How do I remove Dropbox from my Mac if I get an error message when attempting to uninstall?

Heather G.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am trying to delete the Dropbox app from my Mac, but it gives me an error message saying 'The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its plugins are in use', even after closing all other open applications. What could these plugins be and how can I stop them from being in use?

Thanks

48 Replies 48

Peter B.169
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

What happens to all of the shared stuff?  Is it gone now?

Well, I wanted to keep all of my documents but uninstall from my MacBook so I moved all of the data back to dropbox before attempting to uninstall. There are a few options of what could have happened to the data.

If you saved it to an alternate spot then you still have the data.

If you moved it all back to dropbox, then all of your data is in your online dropbox account.

If you did as I suggested in my first post and delete all data from within all dropbox folders then the folders, AND you deleted all of the data from your trash, then yes, all of your data and the program dropbox are gone.

Glad this worked for you.

Frederique A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same issue. I can't empty dropbox from the trash as it is in use. I went yo the activity monitor but could not find anuthing that had to do with dropbox.

Roberta G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Piet Hein C. I LOVE YOU! Thank you so much for this tip. Aloha

Joe P.33
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Piet Hein and Rajat.  Dropbox, you suck.  I look forward to the day you app is but a distant memory.

Sarah F.31
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Andrea. P: Maybe you guys should update this article to include force quitting dropbox finder integration: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

Umesh R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Try to do the following

1. control-click on Dropbox.
  2. select 'show package contents'. You will be able to see a folder named "Contents"
  3. open folder
  4. delete everything there in the folder.
  5. open finder window
  6. navigate to folder containing Dropbox app.
  7. press command-delete and move to bin

This should help you.

Duff W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Nope and nope...I have tried all of those and this damn icon is still not letting me delete...help!

Umesh R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Well, this is how I did it. Can you tell me which version of Mac are you using? Because this could be the only hurdle. else you should be able to delete it.

amalia v.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Frederique A.

@Umesh R. 

Also tried the above, as soon as I tried to delete in from the trashbin I get dropbox still in use. 

a)In the activity monitor I see no dropbox, 

b)I have unlinked the mac from the dropbox site

c)i tried show package contents and delete the folder but still get the same error.

d)when I restore the dropbox app in the apps folder I cant open it, it says damaged or incomplete

e)my mac version is 10.7.5

Plz help its so annoying!

Duff W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

^ SAME problem, got support involved, but they wouldn't help me. So annoying...someone, anyone help. I have tried all of the above; Dropbox doesn't show on Activity Monitor. Unlinked, 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Eric S.62 New member | Level 1
    Jim K.9 New member | Level 1
    Andre Z.1 New member | Level 1
    Amel D. New member | Level 1
    Duff W. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?