cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message??

Error Message??

Thanrath
Helpful | Level 5

Is anyone know how to fix this error??

Errors Occurred

See the logfile 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client]Dropbox.exe.log' for details.

I dont want to reinstall again as it will take a lot of time to restored all of my folder

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Error Message??

Thanrath
Helpful | Level 5
Dear HU,

Thank you. I did fix it by re-installing.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

That's not the error. The error is in that file. You need to open it to see the full error message.

HU
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same problem.  I am told to 'see the logfile 'C:\Program files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe.log' for details'.  Unfortunately, that file does not exist.  I guess someone on https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Can-t-Start-Drop-Box/td-p/31300 recommends uninstalling and installing Dropbox again.  Is that it?  Will that, possibly, do any harm to the files on my machine / the files in the cloud?  The cloud files are newer ... I don't even know how Dropbox will handle the re-install. 

HU
Explorer | Level 4

... and, it turns out, I get the same error message upon attempting an uninstall.  Installing anew gives me "error 2".  Safe mode doesn't help nor does "sfc /scannow".  What next?

Thanrath
Helpful | Level 5
Dear HU,

Thank you. I did fix it by re-installing.

Thanrath
Helpful | Level 5
Do not uninstall the program. Just reinstall it again. that's all

HU
Explorer | Level 4

I tried to simply re-install, per the Dropbox website.  It didn't work, I tried several times.  I was stuck.  I also downloaded the offline installation version of Dropbox.  When I installed that, it worked.  I have no idea, why that one and why at that point.  It seems like a random stroke of luck, after trying a bunch of avenues for about two hours (what a waste of time).  I am certainly glad that it did, but it seems that one is completely left in the dark here, as a user.  Good software shouldn't do that. 

In particular: the .log file is horrible.  The user is told in the error message to inspect it, but it contains gibberish, that is unintelligible to any modestly capable computer user.  To me, this is inexcusable.  That log-file is written by the Dropbox software coders, the words in there are dictated by their software engineers.  It takes two hours of effort to make sure that the software produces a legible, understandable .log file, with clear advice on what to do next.  I cannot even begin to understand why this company would leave its valued customers in limbo and stranded with such poorly crafted advice.  I truly hope this will be taken up by whoever can change this, and is reviewed by people high up in the company.  This really shouldn't happen.  It can spell disaster for this company in the long-run: if more people run into this, and ditch the software as a result, that's it.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

HU Explorer | Level 4
    Thanrath Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?