cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Setting up Dropbox Desktop App

Error Setting up Dropbox Desktop App

anneborremans
New member | Level 2

This is the txt file it generates for me:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 25.4.28
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 3233
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='anneborremans', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Anne Borremans', pw_dir='/Users/anneborremans', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='anneborremans', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Anne Borremans', pw_dir='/Users/anneborremans', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_avipm', '_avqmd', '_avuxupdate'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_avipm', '_avqmd', '_avuxupdate'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: u'/'
real_path='/'
mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: u'/Users/anneborremans'
appdata: u'/Users/anneborremans/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path=u'/Users/anneborremans/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=040700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=040700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: u'/Users/anneborremans/Dropbox'
real_path=u'/Users/anneborremans/Dropbox (Motivate Design)'
mode=040700 uid=503 gid=20
parent mode=040755 uid=503 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0100755 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=040755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: u'/var/folders/xy/vrxjlfsd01q4cfpjxbxfjpcw0000gn/T'
real_path=u'/private/var/folders/xy/vrxjlfsd01q4cfpjxbxfjpcw0000gn/T'
mode=040700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=040755 uid=501 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 695, in _on_register_host_success
File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 814, in _handle_joining_leaving_cdm_team
File "dropbox/client/relocate_namespace_folders.pyc", line 392, in execute_pending_operations
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/file_system/util.pyc", line 90, in wrapped
File "contextlib.pyc", line 35, in __exit__
File "dropbox/shared/error_util.pyc", line 48, in convert_error
File "dropbox/shared/error_util.pyc", line 35, in convert_error
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/file_system/util.pyc", line 90, in wrapped
File "dropbox/_sync_engine_packages/stable/file_system/pythonos.pyc", line 98, in open
PermissionDeniedError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'/Users/anneborremans/Dropbox/.dropbox-relocate3640a06ba127'

941943c57f0e550323c514ec336c8bab

5 Replies 5

Re: Error Setting up Dropbox Desktop App

Rich
Super User II

It looks like you have a permissions problem. I would start with the steps listed here:

If you continue to have a problem, contact Support for assistance.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey anneborremans

Welcome to the Dropbox Community and thanks for reaching out for support here! 

If you follow @Rich 's instructions and you still experience the issue, you'll need to open a ticket with us, since this is a permissions error and we'll need to have access to your account to have this resolved. 

Please let me know your ticket ID here, so that I follow-up, I'd be glad to work on that with you. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

anneborremans
New member | Level 2

Thanks Jane. I followed the instructions on this page: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/incorrect-file-permissions

Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. I opened a ticket through the link you provided, but did not receive a confirmation or any sort of ticket number. 

anneborremans
New member | Level 2
Thanks Jane. I followed the instructions on this page: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/incorrect-file-permissions

Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. I opened a ticket through the link you provided, but did not receive a confirmation or any sort of ticket number.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @anneborremans

Thaks for your cooperation! 

I'm updating the thread here so that other users see your solution in the future. You got past this issue when you removed a second Dropbox folder you found on your device, which brought the installation to a halt. This modified the installation folder path, hence the new installation could not overwrite the previous one. 

Please get back in touch here if there's anything else I could do for you, I'd be more than glad to follow-up. 

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    anneborremans New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?