cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error following Mac install: "Couldn't start Dropbox" - nucleus_python.SyncEngineError

Error following Mac install: "Couldn't start Dropbox" - nucleus_python.SyncEngineError

Joat
New member | Level 2

Am an ongoing user of Dropbox but the app no longer successfully launches.

System: iMac (2015), macOS 11.2.1

I've tried uninstalling and installing fresh copies of Dropbox with the same result.

Have run through the steps at both

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/error-installing-mac

and

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

which dealt with potential permissions issues on directories and files.

Symptom is this error dialog during the app startup.

Error message from DropboxError message from Dropbox

The traceback in the dropbox_error... file is as follows.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 822, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6589, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6054, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5993, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 265, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 318, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 182, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 164, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 224, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 617, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 210, in __init__
File "extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 78, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Marking .dropbox.cache as ignored |>> Fsyncing xattr |>> Unknown error: Os { code: 28, kind: Other, message: \"No space left on device\" }"

The "No space left on device" message is confusing as there is apparently quite a bit of space available on the drive itself.

% df -h /Users/jody/Dropbox
Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused       ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk2s1  2.8Ti  1.3Ti  1.6Ti    45% 8559816 30474900104    0%   /System/Volumes/Data

Any suggestions and help very much appreciated!

Thanks,

--J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Error following Mac install: "Couldn't start Dropbox" - nucleus_python.SyncEngineError

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @Joat; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

Could you please temporarily disable any antivirus you may have running on your computer and perform a clean, advanced re-install again?

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Error following Mac install: "Couldn't start Dropbox" - nucleus_python.SyncEngineError

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @Joat; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

Could you please temporarily disable any antivirus you may have running on your computer and perform a clean, advanced re-install again?

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joat
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the tip!

I now again have Dropbox installed.

(It appears that I needed to grant quite a few more privileges than I thought I'd need to.)

Your help is much appreciated!!

Walter
Dropboxer
Glad to hear this helped @Joat.

See you around the Community and have a lovely weekend! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Joat New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?