cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message: Submitting to Support

Highlighted

Error message: Submitting to Support

Explorer | Level 3

I have an error message when trying to launch Dropbox on a new computer.  I keep getting a message that "Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/richardcornfield/.dropbox."  I've tried my Dropbox password and my computer password and nothing works.  I can log in online successfully.  Dropbox was newly installed on this computer.  I tried Terminal commands from the Community but either I did it wrong or it simply didn't work.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 105.3.638
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 45
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 8f531c14-6027-589e-9fd4-70c1d93648c1
pid: 1032
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='lionheart', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Richard Cornfield', pw_dir='/Users/lionheart', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='lionheart', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Richard Cornfield', pw_dir='/Users/lionheart', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
           	mode=0o40755	uid=0	gid=80
     parent	mode=0o40755	uid=0	gid=80
HOME: '/Users/lionheart'
appdata: '/Users/richardcornfield/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/richardcornfield/.dropbox/instance1'
               	not found
         parent	not found
dropbox_path: '/Users/richardcornfield/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/richardcornfield/Dropbox'
                    	not found
              parent	not found
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      	mode=0o100755	uid=501	gid=20
                parent	mode=0o40755	uid=501	gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      	not found
                parent	not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/51/cghm42dd30l58nhv43b7dd1w0000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/51/cghm42dd30l58nhv43b7dd1w0000gn/T'
               	mode=0o40700	uid=501	gid=20
         parent	mode=0o40755	uid=501	gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1257, in safe_makedirs
  File "os.pyc", line 211, in makedirs
  File "os.pyc", line 221, in makedirs
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/richardcornfield'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 7715, in main_startup
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 2946, in run
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1703, in startup_low
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1284, in safe_makedirs
  File "os.pyc", line 221, in makedirs
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/richardcornfield'
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Error message: Submitting to Support

Dropboxer

Hi @rtc7, thanks for posting on the Community!

It looks like you've changed the username on your machine, and the Dropbox desktop application is trying to find the old location, perhaps it was restored using a backup feature? To resolve this issue, I am going to provide you with steps to reset the Dropbox application settings. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing as you will need to re-apply these settings after this process.

First, please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

1) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2) Copy and paste the following line (highlighted below) into the Terminal and press ENTER. Please make sure you copy and paste this command (don't type it by hand), as getting it wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and trying this step again.

3) Restart Dropbox from the Application folder, then please sign in and apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to this reset during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @rtc7, thanks for posting on the Community!

It looks like you've changed the username on your machine, and the Dropbox desktop application is trying to find the old location, perhaps it was restored using a backup feature? To resolve this issue, I am going to provide you with steps to reset the Dropbox application settings. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing as you will need to re-apply these settings after this process.

First, please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

1) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2) Copy and paste the following line (highlighted below) into the Terminal and press ENTER. Please make sure you copy and paste this command (don't type it by hand), as getting it wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and trying this step again.

3) Restart Dropbox from the Application folder, then please sign in and apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to this reset during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Hello and thanks for your reply

Yes this work well.
My problem is fixed

Thanks
Regards Vincent
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Glad to hear it, @rtc7, enjoy your week ahead!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?