cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error "Couldn't start Dropbox" - MacOS Catalina

Highlighted

Error "Couldn't start Dropbox" - MacOS Catalina

Explorer | Level 3

I got a new iMac with Catalina installed, transferred my files from my old iMac to the new one. I get the following message:

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 3.26.19 PM.png

I found some info about uninstalling Dropbox on another post (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/uninstall-dropbox ), stopped all Dropbox processes in Activity Monitor (Yes, in spite of the message, Dropbox was running), deleted Dropbox, deleted all the files mentioned and some others I found, and reinstalled Dropbox. This improved things a bit, in that Dropbox now goes through the setup screens, and it now shows up in the task bar, but it still displays the message above. When I click on the icon in the task bar, the only thing I see is the above message. I deleted some files in my Dropbox folder and added another one. It doesn't get synced with my online Dropbox account. BTW, the clickable link in the screenshot wasn't clickable until I reinstalled Dropbox. Now it is. The last 2 lines are:

nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> Opening dst |>> open syscall |>> Permission denied"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Seems you haven't moved your Dropbox folder, so don't edit anything (i.e. "~/Dropbox" is correct).

One more thing. If the previous commands don't do the trick for you, try forcibly relink the application to your account using following (make sure the application got closed in advance):

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

Next you can run the Dropbox application anew and authorize.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Hi @DavidMiller99,

It's better entire file content, pointed by the link, be posted so more info, about the issue, gets available. Anyway... according your description sounds like wrong some file attribute (or similar) in Dropbox directory. You can try reset significant attributes in your directory using something like:

sudo chflags -R noschg ~/Dropbox
sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox
sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox
chmod -RN ~/Dropbox
chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

"~/Dropbox" is the default place; if this folder has been moved somewhere else, correct it appropriately.

Let's hope this will help.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 105.4.651
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 45
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: e72c679a-0dc9-508b-9025-55387b00cb4e
pid: 21566
ppid: 1
uid: 503
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='david', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=503, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='David ', pw_dir='/Users/david', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='david', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=503, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='David ', pw_dir='/Users/david', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 503
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'davidmiller'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'davidmiller'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/david'
appdata: '/Users/david/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/david/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=503 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40700 uid=503 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/david/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/david/Dropbox'
                    mode=0o40755 uid=503 gid=20
              parent mode=0o40755 uid=503 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=503 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/xl/7sd622f88xj17300r6bf936h0000gq/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/xl/7sd622f88xj17300r6bf936h0000gq/T'
                mode=0o40700 uid=503 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 793, in wrapper
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6534, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5998, in _init_components_for_account
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5949, in create_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 264, in make_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 345, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 187, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 122, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 220, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 576, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 151, in __init__
  File "extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 86, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> Opening dst |>> open syscall |>> Permission denied"

Highlighted

Seems you haven't moved your Dropbox folder, so don't edit anything (i.e. "~/Dropbox" is correct).

One more thing. If the previous commands don't do the trick for you, try forcibly relink the application to your account using following (make sure the application got closed in advance):

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

Next you can run the Dropbox application anew and authorize.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The sudo and chmod commands you gave me in your first reply took care of the problem! Dropbox now runs! 

Thank you 

Highlighted

Error Message after reinstalling Mcbook

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Following a HDD crash on my mcbook and installing a new SSD and mac os, dropbox gives me the following error message when trying to set up the app on my computer:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 105.4.651
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 45
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: eb2873da-0671-55a3-82bb-ea727b4b2329
pid: 22204
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='Masta', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Masta', pw_dir='/Users/Masta', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='Masta', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Masta', pw_dir='/Users/Masta', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/Masta'
appdata: '/Users/Masta/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/Masta/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/Masta/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/Masta/Dropbox'
mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/kf/5v8r9n9d18g3gt6gwp1zvldm0000gp/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/kf/5v8r9n9d18g3gt6gwp1zvldm0000gp/T'
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 793, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6534, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5998, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5949, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 264, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 345, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 187, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 122, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 220, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 576, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 151, in __init__
File "extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 86, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Marking .dropbox.cache as ignored |>> Writing to xattr |>> fsetxattr syscall: write_xattr |>> Permission denied"

Can someone help me please?

thank you!!!

Highlighted

Re: Error Message after reinstalling Mcbook

Hi @Supafly,

Take a look here. 😉 I believe it's very similar.

Hope this helps.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?