Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error saving MS Visio files to Dropbox

Jeff M.6 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

When I save an Microsoft Visio document to Dropbox I get an error: "An error (106) occurred during the action Save As. Bad disk failure."  Yet it does save the file successfully and I'm able to reopen the file in Visio.  Anyone else seen this?  It appears to be something that Microsoft doesn't like about the cloud drive.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Error saving MS Visio files to Dropbox

Ghuru42 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The problem seam to be a race confition between dropbox sync and Visio. Visio creates the file, then reopenes it to save data to it. At that momemt dropbox has started a sync and Visio can no longer write as it wants to.

So if you before saving just pause sync in Dropbox, it will save just fine.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Super User alumni Richard P.
Super User alumni

Dropbox isnt a cloud drive - that error is regarding your local hard disk, and it looks like your disk is failing.

Dropbox is a syncing tool - when you put something in your Dropbox folder, thats just a normal folder on your disk.  Dropbox syncs copies of those files up to its servers, but that Dropbox folder is right there on your disk.

So when you copy something to it and you get an error like that, thats got nothing to do with Dropbox itself - its a valid error, you need to look into the health of your disk drive right now!!!

Hugh M.8 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Really? Please see http://brakertech.com/visio-error-106/

I found that repairing MS Visio installation solved the problem. 

Jeff M.6 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

There's absolutely nothing wrong with my hard-drive.  When I save-as an MS Visio document to Dropbox it does save there fine, but Visio then tries to update the 'recently used files list on my local hard-drive and it doesn't like the path to Dropbox, hence the error. If I were revising an existing Visio document and changed the name when I saved to Dropbox, then I just hit 'save' it overwrites the original version.    I believe it's a Visio problem as Visio does not update the ope-file name.

paulden
Explorer | Level 3

I see the same issue.  The visio save works fine but save as does not - and reports the disk failure.

I have been using save as to the desktop and then (closing viso) and moving the file to dropbox.  Seems there is some sort of incompatability. 

Dawn C.5 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This problem still exists...

Ghuru42 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The problem seam to be a race confition between dropbox sync and Visio. Visio creates the file, then reopenes it to save data to it. At that momemt dropbox has started a sync and Visio can no longer write as it wants to.

So if you before saving just pause sync in Dropbox, it will save just fine.

View solution in original post

dcarman New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Oddly enough, even though I received the same error, the file still saved where I intended to.  For reference, I do use Dropbox and sync.

gbguy71 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks!  Pausing synch did the trick!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?